Lumia phones support

Hi! As you know, RAW shooting is supported today nearly on every phone. My cuestion specificaly targets Lumia 1020 and others pioneering this option. They use Adobe’s DNG open format but I don´t know whether Rawtherapee should have or has specific support of any kind.

Thank you

If it is a generic DNG file, it should work fine. I’m using DNG files from Open Camera on Android without issue.

If you upload a sample Lumia 1020 DNG to https://filebin.net/
I could swiftly check it for you.
Are you on Windows or Linux or what?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Thank you all!
I uploaded some samples under different conditions (in case it helps).
I use Windows 10 (I know doesn’t support DNG right-out-of-the-box; even when applying Adobe’s DNG Codec 2.0, explorer can tell the image attributes but the JPEG miniature is rendered with a strong violet cast and missed colors. Interestingly, newer Lumia 950 -smaller 20Mpix pics- won´t have this issue. I added a screen print; just as a curiosity)

https://filebin.net/znk1111mlofdg650

Hóla!

I cannot explain why, but your photos show an interesting behaviour :slight_smile:

Yes: some of the pre-views have a strong violet cast
but in the file browser only. As soon as you open one
of the photos, the violet cast disappears (I have checked
in RawTherapee as well as in Darktable).

It is interesting to note that under Win 10/Adobe Bridge,
the file browser at first shows that violet cast, but after
a few seconds some conversion automatically sets in and
the violet cast disappears(!).

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Yes. I think it is only the JPEG miniatures that are affected as this happens with nearly every editor I use: when you open the actual RAW image it is fixed.
Anyway, do you notice anything extrange about the RAW image itself? I´m very new to RAW editing and I would say everything is allright, but on some instances I have noticed unexpected behaviour: for example, highlight reconstruction that leads to strong red o violet cast instead of gray.
If you want to, I could take a series of snaps the way you specify in the manual, so you can tune support officialy.
Anyway I really apreciate your atention.

Hóla!

I believe @Morgan_Hardwood is much more suitable to take over this dilemma :slight_smile: I am not that technically skilled :frowning:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hi! Sorry for the delay. So, anyone at Rawtherapee interested in adding specific support for the Lumia 1020 or, maybe other phones? Or Not needed at all? Thank you!

PS. I mean, as stated in the manual.

I’ll take a look when time permits.

@dm30 I took a look at your raw samples.

First some background info. A raw file typically contains one or more processed images (a version of the raw data demosaiced and processed by your camera, typically in the JPEG format) in addition to the raw data itself. Most programs, when you open a raw file in them, show you not the raw file itself but this embedded processed image. Why? Because they are usually unable to read the raw data, and showing the embedded JPEG is faster.
More info here: Editor - RawPedia

All of the embedded processed images in your raw files are in the TIFF format, and all of them are broken - the red and blue channels are the same. That is why the images look broken in most programs. Where do these DNG files come from, did the Nokia Lumia 1020 create them? If so, it speaks badly of Nokia’s quality.

RawTherapee supports the raw data in the DNG files well.

2 Likes