Luminance HDR - tone mapping very long filename.

I’m using Luminance HDR 2.5.1 to batch tonemap hdr images, prior to stitching them together in a panorama.

At the moment, Luminance HDR is saving each tonemapped image with a very cumbersome filename, e.g. hdr_01_pregamma_0.9_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_0.3_saturation_factor_0.95_detail_factor_5.tiff
hdr_02_pregamma_0.9_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_0.3_saturation_factor_0.95_detail_factor_5.tiff
etc

While it is helpful that the filename contains the tonemapping settings, it would be handy if there was an option to just output the tonemapped image into a simply named file such as
hdr_01.tiff?

it can be quite confusing seeing 30 odd images with very long titles, imported into Hugin for panoramic stitching!

Unless I have missed an option in Luminance hdr somewhere?

Thanks,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

right now tonemapping parameters in filenames are hard-coded, keep in mind that you can choose multiple TM operators/settings so we need a counter for each TM operator/TM setting, otherwise output files will be overwritten.
So let say we start with hdr_1…30.exr, and TM1 (mantiuk06+its parameters), TM2 (drago+its parameters), TM2 (reinhard05+its parameter) then output should be hdr_1_1.tiff … hdr_1_30.tiff, hdr_2_1.tiff … hdr_2_30.tiff and so on…
I must find some time for implementing it

1 Like

@fcomida, I hadn’t considered the benefit of having the long file names with the TM operators settings encoded into the file name meaning easier to keep track of which tone mapping setting had been applied, and stopping different versions being overwritten.

I could always batch rename the tonemapped images prior to importing them into hugin etc.

I actually have found this really helpful for me in the past. Particularly when trying many different settings and operators. Also, keep up the great work, @fcomida! :smiley:

2 Likes

Imagine naming our children with all that metadata :rofl::
human_born_on_this_day_at_this_hospital_delivered_by_this_medical_team_via_c-section.last-name.

Joking aside, if it isn’t already doing so, why not just put this info in the metadata?

@afre Exif data is copied from 1st bracketed image to tonemapped image, we then add tonemapping parameters to Exif.Image.ImageDescription and Exif.Photo.UserComment tags plus Exif.Image.ProcessingSoftware and Exif.Image.Software set to Luminance HDR + release_number.
Exif data aren’t currently written when starting from an HDR though, I mean TM parameters and software.
It should be fixed…