Lyme Regis harbour at blue hour - handheld

Slightly challenging file I think. :wink: I’m impressed though (again) with the OM-D EM-5ii’s IBIS - 1/5th at an equivalent of 160mm ain’t half bad in my book, for a handheld shot.

P5190084.ORF.xmp (18.5 KB)

P5190084.ORF (13.6 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

6 Likes

My play in GIMP. Very simple treatment - I used the Enhance Shadows plug-in, then a slight “tweak” with Curves.

3 Likes

My fun with GIMP and decode jpegli

3 Likes

P5190084.ORF.arp (13.1 KB)

6 Likes

Hi Stephen, I am on my laptop screen so I didn’t look at the noise issue. I wanted to emphasise the blue of the blue hour in my edit and went for a square crop. BTW, I am on V4.7 last weeks build and when I activated the crop module I had strange behaviour and I wonder if it is just me or if others could check if the image crops without any input. I did want a square crop for this image so that is all on me.

Edit: Just downloaded this weeks 4.7 build for windows and crop behaved as it should.

P5190084.ORF.xmp (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

I vaguely remember reading a post/thread about that - and I think it was resolved. I’m on an old 4.7 build at present too, and when copy/pasting history stacks the crop module bhaves strangly when copying from a landscape orientation to a portrait or vice versa.
Not sure if that’s related or not. Need to get a newer build going.

P5190084.ORF.xmp (11.7 KB)

5 Likes

Thank you for the play. With ART, GIMP and G’MIC:

Another edit, with a different approach:

4 Likes

P5190084.ORF.xmp (19.8 KB)

7 Likes

Here is my grainy version.

darktable + custom code for emulating film

3 Likes

My version…

P5190084.ORF.xmp (22.0 KB)

4 Likes

Dunno if this is anything other than just another approach, but…

I removed the sky above the cloud line since it was distracting to me. Also removed the floating object above the reflection and the light on the pole in the foreground. I tried to minimize the bloom of the lights for a more realistic look. I also added a vignette and gradient to reinforce the object of attention.

There’s a ton of atmosphere and mood in the shot, so hopefully I didn’t destroy that in the process.

ART 1.21.3

P5190084.ORF.arp (16.4 KB)

2 Likes

Hello, with Art 1.21.3

3 Likes

RawTherapee, GIMP (G’MIC anistropic smoothing), monkeyed with color temp a bit, curves, hammered in some unsharp mask.

3 Likes

P5190084.ORF.xmp (11.7 KB)

:thinking:

3 Likes

P5190084.ORF.xmp (22.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the replies! There’s some great versions I really like, but all are good.

Apologies for my lack of response - got a lot going on at the moment.
This is the first time I’ve logged in for at least a week… :grimacing:

2 Likes