Mac - Compile for C (Not C++)

I would like to do 2 things, both are failing bad.

A) Attempt to compile Gmic on Mac (Failed)
B) Attempt to compile Gmic library for C - not C++ (Failed)

I spent hours trying to figure out this nonsense with dependency problems, platform compatibility problems, etc. and I am very drained with a headache. And searching the internet and these forums is making my headache worse and still not getting anywhere.

Can someone please provide a list of steps to take to install/compile this in 2019?

Thanks

Maybe @Carmelo_DrRaw or @KaRo may help ?
Personally, I’ve never tried G’MIC on Mac .

I am not very helpful for such descriptions.
My way is to install MacPorts and install than gmic from MacPorts. Additionally install XQuartz, best before MacPorts.
If that is done, you can directly make latest gmic from the git cloned folder "(cd ~/work/src/gmic/src/; make -B cli “SUBLIBS=-lX11” "!

I think after installing MacPorts with all dependency, you can build (make) gmic library too.

I second the recommendation. Used it back when it was called DarwinPorts. Made package management easier for the Mac.

Thanks. It’s still in the early stages of downloading dependencies, but the Macports version seems more solid than homebrew…

What about the C api? I only saw a C++ header, and didn’t see any mention of it except on the homepage.

…the MacPorts gmic install failed after many hours. :frowning:

It failed at building luajit.

It was trying to install a huge dependency list and I wonder how much of those are actually used.

…I got passed the luajit stage by manually applying this patch:
https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/59265/luajit.patch

Now it’s back on compiling llvm…

I would think that llvm and clang should be unnecessary since they are already installed with xcode, and they take ages to install. (Also, it had me install Java?)

I will write back in some hours I guess…

(PS. My opinion of MacPorts has become very low right now. Convoluted documentation, and it was painful to figure out the patch nonsense)

It failed again, talking about deactivating libunwind-headers for gcc…

(Again, gcc is already installed with xcode, so this is redundant)

Trying again…

Edit: gcc build failed, sigh, this is tiring.

I believe Xcode and MacPorts run separately, unless you can link libraries across opts, which I am not sure is possible. (I haven’t compiled anything on a Mac for almost 2 decades. :sweat_smile:)

This is from a quick internet search. If you want to figure out the dependencies and build configs etc., see here: macports/science/gmic at master · Schamschula/macports · GitHub. Looks like a Dr Schamschula is maintaining the MacPorts port of gmic, and I think the libgmic and libcgmic is built with gmic.

Sadly, there isn’t anything helpful there, and I have no insight how to get passed the libgcc9 failure.

Also, the actual dependency tree had 341 items! I counted them.

It looks like gmic is another one of those hopeless jenga tower projects. Is cimg the same way?

Maybe it’s time to wonder why most of the opensource projects maintainers I know have difficulties compiling / running their projects on Mac OS ? Ask GIMP developers, they encounter the same kind of issues.
Maybe it’s not a problem with the projects, but more with the OS itself ?

I was merely trying to test some trivial functions before sending it over to linux.

I work in simple C and directly with the GPU for all my image drawing/manipulation. I was interested to review if there are a couple algorithms in gmic/cimg that our studio can use. But when I see a list of 341 dependencies, most all of which are cringey, it is a bad omen, regardless of OS.

I’m really sorry for you it doesn’t work. But the truth is having to install 341 dependencies to compile G’MIC is a thing that happens only with MacOSX. You don’t have this problem on a more sane environment for developers.

Perhaps this is an important thing to put in the documentation.

“Gmic on the mac is currently a disaster. It is not fit for production use, and as of 2019, the install will not go smoothly.”

To me, I read the current website thinking that Mac was truly supported. - which it isn’t. A direct clear communication like that is important, otherwise people like me will waste days of time.

What about the C API that is mentioned on the front page? Does this exist in a production state on linux? If so, where is it?

…On linux, there are problems too.

The documentation is not correct. Is there a working set of installation steps written anywhere?

(PS There are indeed hundreds of dependencies for gmic on linux as well)

…and the compile errors for the tutorial with foo.cpp on linux are the same compile errors I get on the mac - what looks to me like dependency problems.

You are right, I’ll probably add this to the webpage:

You can compile the libc version of G’MIC with a minimal number of dependencies:

$ make clean
rm -rf CImg.h gmic_stdlib.h gmic use_libgmic use_libcgmic use_libcgmic_static gmic*.o libgmic* libcgmic* *~
$ make CURL_CFLAGS="" CURL_LIBS="" X11_CFLAGS="" X11_LIBS="" PNG_CFLAGS="" PNG_LIBS="" JPEG_CFLAGS="" JPEG_LIBS="" TIFF_CFLAGS="" TIFF_LIBS="" libc
make "CFLAGS+=-Dgmic_build -Dcimg_date=\\\"\\\" -Dcimg_time=\\\"\\\" -Dcimg_use_zlib  -Dgmic_prerelease="\\\"191024\\\""  -std=c++11 -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wfatal-errors -Werror=unknown-pragmas -Werror=unused-label -Wshadow -Dcimg_use_vt100 -Dcimg_use_abort -Dgmic_is_parallel  -Dcimg_use_fftw3      -fopenmp -Dcimg_use_openmp  " "LIBS+=-lz  -L/usr/lib -lm -lpthread  -lfftw3 -lfftw3_threads     -lgomp " _libc
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/dtschump/work/src/gmic/src'
> Retrieve G'MIC libcgmic files...
 done!
> Retrieve G'MIC Standard Library...
 done!
> Retrieve CImg Library...
 done!
g++ -o libgmic.o -c gmic.cpp -fPIC -Dgmic_build -Dcimg_date=\"\" -Dcimg_time=\"\" -Dcimg_use_zlib  -Dgmic_prerelease=\"191024\"  -std=c++11 -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wfatal-errors -Werror=unknown-pragmas -Werror=unused-label -Wshadow -Dcimg_use_vt100 -Dcimg_use_abort -Dgmic_is_parallel  -Dcimg_use_fftw3      -fopenmp -Dcimg_use_openmp  
g++ -o libcgmic.o -c gmic_libc.cpp -fPIC -Dgmic_build -Dcimg_date=\"\" -Dcimg_time=\"\" -Dcimg_use_zlib  -Dgmic_prerelease=\"191024\"  -std=c++11 -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wfatal-errors -Werror=unknown-pragmas -Werror=unused-label -Wshadow -Dcimg_use_vt100 -Dcimg_use_abort -Dgmic_is_parallel  -Dcimg_use_fftw3      -fopenmp -Dcimg_use_openmp  
ar rcs libcgmic.a libcgmic.o
g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libcgmic.so.2 -o libcgmic.so libcgmic.o libgmic.o -lz  -L/usr/lib -lm -lpthread  -lfftw3 -lfftw3_threads     -lgomp 
cc -std=c99 -o use_libcgmic use_libcgmic.c -L. -lcgmic
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/dtschump/work/src/gmic/src'
$ ldd libcgmic.so 
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff73b84000)
	libgtk3-nocsd.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0 (0x00007f4252577000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007f425255b000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f425253a000)
	libfftw3.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfftw3.so.3 (0x00007f4252335000)
	libfftw3_threads.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfftw3_threads.so.3 (0x00007f425232c000)
	libgomp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgomp.so.1 (0x00007f42522f3000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f425210f000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f4251fc1000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f4251fa7000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f4251dbc000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f4251db6000)
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f4252ed0000)
$ ldd libcgmic.so | wc -l

Job done.

2 Likes

These are the errors I get when calling gmic_get_stdlib()

And here are the errors of the “use_libcgmic.c” file

I don’t use the libcgmic, so I can’t tell. @Tobias_Fleischer may help here, he is the author of the C bridge for the libgmic.

I am not aware which problems you might have. Still I am a Mac user since years and had compiled gmic and all other app of the package, not without problems, however any system makes problems!

Since you don’t have the need for the compiling and building environment why do write such a nonsense. Better write " I’d like to try gmic (cli) on Mac, how can I do that!

The answer for that question is:

Download gmic-cli-20191024.tgz

Unpack it, and add the folder gmic-cli to your path.

This should work !

Concerning your problems, I think your system it corrupt.
First step to overcome, create another user account (with admin rights) and use that instead.
Second step delete /opt/local, reinstall XQuartz and reinstall MacPorts.
It’s true, MacPorts installs a lot of incomprehensible ports, still even about 400 will not last to long since most of the ports are already in compiled form. Of course you should not try your special way from source, follow the instructions of the quick way! From source is starting from Adam & Eve to find the source of some personal specialities!

1 Like