Mac RT advanced feature test metadata-exiv2

Hope this will finally fix the problem: Fix external editor on macOS by Lawrence37 · Pull Request #6809 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

@jhmnieuwenhuis Native command attempts to launch the external editor using methods specific to the operating system instead of using the platform-agnostic Gnome utilities. It’s what was used in 5.9 and older versions which is why native command should be checked.

How do I download the new version ?
So I can test it.

Maybe you can test with chrome > open -a “/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome”
Works from the command line.

If it works then great but using the bundle id to open an app is not a sure thing.

Basically, it won’t work for all users all the time, therefor I continue to recommend against using the bundle id to open apps, and I recommend not recommending that other people start using the bundle id. Only use the name open -a photoshop

@Lawrence37 with your patch, the error message is gone, but no lauch. Clicking the external editor button and pressing ctrl-e both only raise the empty and non-fillable Select Application window.

Prefs:

Yielding:

In verbose mode there was no output to the terminal.

How did you download it?
Or did you build a version from github source?

@jhmnieuwenhuis
Yes I am building and packaging RawTherapee from github sources.
When I have a successful build ready for test, I update my icloud drive with it.
You can find the latest build here: https://kd6kxr.github.io/meta/
Again, thank you for taking the time to help with testing!

Anytime, love to help.
You are also putting a lot of time into this.
Thanks !!

1 Like

I did some testing.
Seems to work fine now.
I used : open -a “/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2023/Adobe Photoshop 2023.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop 2023”
This opens a specific version of photoshop with the current image.
If i use : open -b “com.adobe.Photoshop” the beta version of photoshop is beeing opened with the image.

The native checkbox is gone

I will test some more…

The bundle name ( com.adobe.photoshop ) is the same for the normal photoshop version and the beta version. So using the open -b “com.adobe.photoshop” will open one of the photoshop versions.
Not predictable which one.

1 Like

I now use 2 entries in the external editor setting

Ps open -a “Adobe Photoshop 2023”
PsB open -a “Adobe Photoshop (Beta)”

So now i can choose which version to open

1 Like

The settings from the buggy version is interfering. Click on the arrow next to the external editor button and select the editor. Now try again.

Works fine now !

One thing I notice with the latest release.
There is no options file after installation.
There should be a directory : ~/Library/Application Support/RawTherapee
But the directory does not exist.

@jhmnieuwenhuis
It is a sandboxed bundle, so everything is contained here:
~/Library/Containers/RawTherapee/data/Library/Application\ Support

In ~/Library/Containers I only see .com.xxx directories no RawTherapee.

Ok, so it is going to be in the com.rawtherapee.RawTherapee folder:
/Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.rawtherapee.RawTherapee/Data/Library/Application\ Support/RawTherapee5-meta/config/options

YES, thats it, Thanks.

B.t.w. The new build has the same name as the previous build.
Version: 5.9-260-gc557b320c
Andy Astbury asked me about that. I saw it too.
Did You use the same name ?

@HIRAM @Lawrence37 @jhmnieuwenhuis Thanks for the work on this issue, it’s now working on my machine too.
Confusing having the same build number, but just glad it’s working!

@jhmnieuwenhuis @Andy_Astbury1
The name will change once committed changes gets merged. Usually I wait for several commits to go thru between builds, but this is more of an active test.

@Lawrence37
After purging my local repo, I do have it working on macOS 11.7 intel x86_64 now. However, on macOS 13 on arm64 I still get the behavior, even after reselecting the editor with the triangle, where instead of launching, I just get the Select Application window as above.

I am on a Mac mini M1 running macos 13.
It works fine.

Are you in default security mode, or have you deactivated any system integrity functionality?