Make it feel like film play raw challenge #1

One thing Gimp can’t do is underlying layer blend if. Does not really matter as a luminosity mask can do the same thing if if you target it to the correct tones and use levels to tweak. Not having adjustment layers is bleh but it doesn’t stop you from doing the same kind of edits.

I’m hoping a new module or plugin or something comes of this great work one day, but in the mean time my preferred method is using the Add Grain filter in G’MIC. I quite like the TMAX 400 option, and find the Overlay mode to be quite a bit more natural than the Grain Merge default.

I remember reading a paper about Phase One experimenting a Filmulator-like approach, literally simulating grains and their growth, to mimic the effect of real film grain.

I wonder if I could hack something similar into Filmulator…

1 Like

yea their film grain module is pretty darn good it even auto scales the grain when the image size changes via crop or export to ensure it is the same across all resolutions possible. It also targets the appropriate places where the grain should be instead of across the whole image.

Capture One in general is a really good converter imho just so expensive I am trying to replace it lol.

That is nice, isn’t it! Would indeed be great to see that implemented in either G’MIC or darktable.

I did have a look at the G’MIC TMAX option, but didn’t use it due to the no LUT/CLUT rule for this challenge. I do realize that it isn’t a (C)LUT, but I did feel like using it was too close to cheating :wink:

@CarVac / @blj : I hear great things about Capture One. Maybe I need to buy myself a Phase One IQ4 system so I get Capture One for free :crazy_face:

:rofl: If only I could afford a $50k camera setup so I can get $300 software for free. I mean it is not that I can’t afford the software it just seems like the $20/month could be better spent else where on other hobbies lol. It is really good software though.

G’MIC TMAX would be fine it is just a grain filter not a LUT/CLUT. The no LUT/CLUT rule was more to force the concept of a manual color grade for more creativity then just using a pre canned film grade.

PhotoFlow (raw) and G’MIC (processing).

2 Likes

alt version

1 Like

A quick a easy idea. I decided to stimulate film reticulation. Took me only 3 minutes. Didn’t do other modification as I wanted to try stimulating reticulation only.

Done in Krita with G’MIC Perlin Noise on YCbCr channel, then blended in with P-Norm A Blending Mode. I did do cross channel adjustment filter mask on a clone of original layer and set that to Destination In. I filtered the dark target part of the Perlin out.

1 Like

Can’t help but see a grid-like pattern, which makes it less believable. Once you work out the kinks, I think it would look nice on High ISO Edit Challenge.

Now that you mention it, yeah after seeing it, it doesn’t look all that real because of a grid-like pattern. Maybe a new filter after theorizing how to make perlin noise more in the fashion of actual film reticulation.

Here are my versions using darktable. In general I used:

• filmic and RGBcurves to compress the highlights and tune the contrast;
  • colorzones/whitebalance to color-shift to taste;
  • grain/lowpass/sharpen modules to add grain.

20200620-0020_01.dng.xmp (14.0 KB)

20200620-0020.dng.xmp (10.9 KB)

1 Like