Making a dcp for Fujifilm camera to use in RT

I’ve started using the Fujifilm camera Profiles available on abpy (Aaron) · GitHub to get the Fujifilm look to my images, even on my non-Fuji cameras. I want to try the process for creating my own camera profile described on that github location. It requires me to start with, for example, an Adobe Standard dcp. Rawpedia has a good article on getting such a dcp via Adobe DNG converter. There is only one problem with that - Adobe does not seem to provide any dcps for Fujifilm cameras. I now realise that this was being discussed as far back as 2015 on DPReview.com. So where does one find an adobe standard dcp for Fujifilm?

(I no longer has LR installed on my Win 10 PC and have no intention of going back there).

To my knowledge there is no standard/general fujifilm dcp that is usable for all the different fujifilm camera types out there. There are standard dcp files for many of the fujifilm cameras, though.

Here’s a file that holds 85 of those: fuji.dcps.tar.bz2 (3.2 MB)

BTW: These came with the Adobe DNG converter software. You might want to create a VM on your linux box that runs a dedicated windows copy (10/11 are “free”), just for these kind of things.

Thanks for this. But a minor question if I may:

Would there be any difference between running DNG converter in a VM under Linux and running DNG converter under Win 10, on a Windows PC?

I have the latter; there are no Fujifilm profiles within DNG on that PC, using version X64_16_2 downloaded today, in the location where I can find profiles for all the other significant camera makes.

I don’t think so. Here’s a screenshot from windows running in a VM on debian:

Adobe converter 14.0 (yep, old one…) and File Explorer opened and showing some of the fujifilm dcp files present in the archive I uploaded in my previous reply.

EDIT

I did transfer all DCPs present in the shown and other directories to linux. This to give RawTherapee easier access.

Alternatively, you can profile your camera if you own a ColorChecker target.

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_create_DCP_color_profiles - this is how all of RT’s built-in profiles are generated.

Thanks for this: it gives the answer to my question - which is that I was looking in the wrong place:

Here’s a screen shot from my Windows PC:

Are they legal to use?

Adobe Digital Negative Converter is legally downloadable from the adobe site:

This is mentioned on their site:

The installation utility is designed to also install a set of color profiles required for the DNG Converter to function properly. These profiles are copied to a common resource location.

The DCPs aren’t hidden/obfuscated in any form by Adobe. This piece of Adobe software is a free product. But this is, clearly, not open source software.

RawTherapee has the following page in RawPedia:

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_get_LCP_and_DCP_profiles

I don’t see any issues here. But I don’t run this site. @paperdigits / @patdavid will decide if my reply/upload stays or not.

If the upload is removed: download the software and copy/paste as mentioned in the RawPedia link.

1 Like

You should look in the folder “Adobe Standard”

Yes, I understand that now.

Which is exactly what I have done on my Windows PC

Andy Astbury made these availability via his drop box.

FREE DCP Camera Profiles for Raw Therapee - Linux Users TOO! Plus Colour Correction Regions
Free Demo Raw File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cndopgqikm…
Get DCP Profiles:https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/h2bq18…​
Fuji, Apple & Android etc Profiles in this folder: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/f1kue2…
So in this Raw Therapee video I want to show you:
How to use the DCP Camera Profiles in Raw Therapee - works on Linux too.
Why I started using RT instead of Lightroom in the first place - the problem still exists 5 years on!
A brief refresher on Colour Correction Regions in Raw Therapee

None of these links work on either Mint/Firefox, MXLinux/Vivaldi or Windows/Edge. I also remember finding that a Dropbox membership was required - which I used to have, but it somehow got dropped (along with all my data) by DropBox in their rush to join the me-too subscription model created by Adobe. So I have dropped DropBox. Permanently.

If you are playing with DCP files the free Adobe profile editor is a nice tool to tweak and adjust them… there are several good videos demonstrating how to use it…

I’m confused about the implications of the differences between a linear camera profile and a dcp available from, say, Adobe via their DNG Converter.

The abpy (Aaron) · GitHub site I have been using describes a process for creating a dcp camera profile for a specific camera, by starting from the adobe standard dcp for that camera, converting that dcp to xml, replacing the LookTable and ToneCurve tags, making other changes, renaming the xml and converting it back to a dcp. I assume this produces a very much non-linear profile - because it starts with a non-linear Adobe Standard one and also because the github site provides a different process for creating a linear profile.

On the other hand a prolific creator of YouTube tutorials on RT has a detailed tutorial on how to create what he calls a ‘neutral ++’ profile from which to start all image editing in RT - based on the neutral profile provided by RT. I was planning to use this process but wonder where the camera-specific ‘information’ - which must be implicit in the Adobe Standard dcp (or any derivative there-of) - ever gets factored into the image processing in RT.

Shouldn’t I be starting with a dcp that is specific to the camera which produced the image, then linearising that dcp as described on gihub, then adding the '++'parts, as described in YouTube and finally saving that as a suitably named profile to be loaded when processing images produced by that camera? (And doing the same for the 20 or so different cameras that I have had/used in the last 20 years?)

Its really very simple to do if you use the tool i mentioned above…

Linearizing adobe standard will produce a true linear profile. The Adobe Standard dcps contain both camera specific data, and non-specific curves and luts. By removing / replacing these, the profile will be linear but still calibrated for your camera model.

RT will let you disable the dcp tone curve and look table in the color management panel. This is exactly the same as making an edited profile. Using a linear profile in RT will actually be more linear than in adobe software because adobe always has some highlight compression for values near white.