making sigmoid a default

Is it possible to make sigmoid a default for new images import in 4.2?

It will be possible to be configured as a workflow soon, it’s being worked: po/rework workflow & module groups by TurboGit · Pull Request #13234 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

In the meantime you can use it automatically with an auto preset.

2 Likes

This is also my question. I would like to deactivate “filmic rgb” and activate “sigmoid” temporarily within the workflow “scene-referred”.

You can set your workflow to “none”, which sets the pixelpipe order to scene-referred but disables filmic, then create an automatic preset to switch on sigmoid for all raw files.

4 Likes

That will actually work well for me. Thank you.

For some time now I actually leave it on none… I like to see the image first to decide how I want to edit it. Often you can edit using neither… but I just like to see the image first then see how it gets impacted… I find this better than seeing it first and then proceeding with the edit… You can often get a better image at times just using the tone eq local contrast colorbalance and the usual utility modules lens corrections etc… Of course if the highlights require it then you can go to filmic or sigmoid but often there are images where it can actually have less detail from the compression that happens using those modules…

9 Likes

Hi Todd, This is an interesting idea that I never considered. Thanks. Also interesting in context of this short post on when to use filmic or sigmoid — Should I upgrade to dt 4.2? - #4 by 123sg

Makes me think there’s a potential video topic for Boris @s7habo :wink:

1 Like

(moved to the Software / darktable category for better visibility)

1 Like

I recall Boris did a video where I think he only used colorbalance to edit some photos…what I can’t recall is if he included filmic but I think he might have only used colorbalance. If you don’t have crazy dynamic range when you think of it why would you compress your shadows and highlights if there was no need…it might be an unnecessary distortion…

2 Likes

You can make a preset on Sigmoid that activates it by default, and another one on filmic that deactivates it by default.

I recall someone had suggested that ie a pair of styles actually that you could invoke as a sort of toggle to activate one and deactivate the other…

Yes, that’s the easiest way!

Hi Todd,
thank you for your reply. However, I do not know how to set workflow to “none”. In the list of workflows I could not find it. I appreciate any hint.

In the processing tab of preferences…

Thank you! That was so simple. :see_no_evil:

YOu should check this out…Working with modules from Lua scripts in darktable - #42 by Ulrich_Gesing

Brilliant idea.