mask channel tabs - gray versus Jz/L

Wondering if someone can explain how to think about the “gray” channel in terms of what attribute is being selected, as opposed to the luminosity L/Jz channel masking tabs. I have not used it yet but saw Boris use it in his latest video. Thx in advance

Per the user manual…

• The g (gray) value is calculated as a weighted average of the R, G & B channels, the exact weightings depending on the working color space being used.

• Like the L in Lab color space, the Jz is a representation of the luminosity of a pixel that aligns with how we perceive brightness.

I am familiar with the photopic luminosity function that defines our sensitivity to the parts of the visible spectrum, which correspond to the L and Jz tabs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photopic_vision

Original image

With gray tab mask

With Jz tab mask

My non scientific usage is:

I use Jz when i want to select shadows, it seems let me select a fine gradation of shadows, but for highlights seems to be an all or nothing type of selection.

I use g when I want lighter midtones or highlights.

3 Likes

I was given some interesting information here to my question and in fact when using Jz you might want to use mask boost to better mask higher values… bright values in the image data might often be greater than 1…

1 Like