Masks and other Darktable Questions

Hello, I hope I am in the right place to ask these questions; if not please direct me to where these would be best answered.

I am wondering if there is an option for the mask manager in Darktable to store masks across images. I’m finding that when I move across images in darkroom mode, the masks only remain with the picture they were created on. This would be helpful for general shapes that I’ve created to quickly be available as I go through my images instead of recreating them every time.

Another question- it would be nice to preserve masks when using styles, but when I apply a created preset, the modules that had masks don’t seem to have them anymore. Is there an option to either preserve the mask on a module in a style or not?

One last question (for now)- I’ve been watching Lightroom videos and notice that there are a lot of shortcuts that seem to dramatically speed up editing time. For instance, you can use L to create a gradient and then quickly adjust exposure, or contrast, etc. on that gradient (with more shortcut keys). I can’t seem to find a way to assign a shortcut key to create a gradient quickly and then apply it to some module effect in any quick way.

Maybe there could be a universal shortcut key option for adding a circle, ellipse, path, gradient, etc., on whichever module that is currently selected?

It seems that even though the mask manager supports shortcuts, you can’t really use them for much. Under processing modules:
Under utility modules:

You have a ‘show preset menu’ option, but (at least with the current ‘unstable’ development version) you cannot create presets (and you cannot display the menu or reset the module using the UI controls).
I guess it sounds reasonable to be able to activate the tools provided in the module using shortcuts:
You may want to raise a feature request at https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/new/choose.

You can do a lot of customization. Start by holding the h key at any point to see what is currently defined and then in preferences poke around and see how you might remap or add any shortcuts.

Or create exposure with a gradient mask preset then assign your hot key to that preset…

2 Likes

Thanks- I didn’t think of that. That would be a good alternative even if it doesn’t seem to me the most ideal method.