Median stacking using G'Mic in GIMP

That’s where I’m getting hung up; Hugin isn’t letting me make any control points. This is what I see:

@rpac78 That happens to me sometimes. Try creating them manually in the Control Points tab. The interface isn’t intuitive, so it may take a moment to figure out. When in doubt, read the manual.

I’m starting to see that. I haven’t seen it anywhere but in what order do I add control points? Image 0 to image 1 then image 1 to image 2…etc?

I would link all control points to the anchor image. At the moment, your AC is image #0; you could change that if you like. So, 0←1 and 0←2. I am not proficient in the app; I learn by doing. :wink:

1 Like

@patdavid You must choos first Custom parameters from Optimise/Geometric tab.
kuva

After that you can open Optimizer tab
kuva

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I was able to do a stack with a couple of photos and it turned out well. I’m just worried about future stacks when I use 10 or more photos. Manually adding control points would be tedious.

Ok, I spoke too soon. After successfully stacking a couple of photos of the Golden Gate bridge, I tried doing a 10 image stack. After manualing adding control points to each photo, Hugin came out with the following error:

enblend: excessive image overlap detected; too high risk of defective seam line
enblend: note: remove at least one of the images
enblend: info: remove invalid output image “DSC_8526 - DSC_8535.tif”

I tried again after removing one photo but still it came out with the same error. Looking it up on the manual, turns up it’s a new error to enblend-4.0. I tried the remedies list apart from reverting to enblend-3.2 (cause I don’t know how to do that in the Windows version).

Might be the early morning grogginess but I’m about to give up on this. I like the whole idea of FOSS but to me this is a simple stack of a bridge with many easy points to align which would take a few moments in Photoshop to accomplish.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I still would like to test it myself with your image stack. I never had problems like this and would like to figure out what the problem is.

Sure. Here is the stack I’m trying to align:

(removed photos)

I have now installed hugin 2018 on an windows 10 PC and followed the first tutorial from @patdavid. Stacking worked and @patdavid the optimize button worked too. I get the same enblend error then @rpac78. The error is ok for panoramas, but not for stacking.
One question I have about the aligne image stacking error you get. Do you have a username with a space or any other unusual letter?

Yes, my computer is named “XXXXXX Family.” Do you think that’s the problem?

Whoops also, did Hugin give you the control point error like I showed earlier?

I added spacing to my path. It still works for me.

Have you tried using align_image_stack by itself? Certain switches and error outputs might help you diagnose the problem. Doc here. Then you could blend the images anywhere (e.g., in GIMP).

1 Like

Have a look at you first error message, there are no quotes around the tmp file. This must lead to an error if you have a space in the path. I don’t know how to fix this, but perhaps we have a hugin expert here. As a test you could try it with an user without a space in the name.

I guess that would solve the stacking but there’s still the problem with the enblend error once I do have the control points set up.

Is downgrading enblend to version 3 as easy as copying and pasting into the hugin folder?

I’m not really well versed in running programs from the command line. I can take a look and try later tonight.

From what I’m reading though, running align_image_stack by itself is not recommended for larger stacks since it only aligns one image to the one next to it and might start to drift.

I don’t see any reason to use enblend here. I changed the blend tool to the internal one and now it works without errors.

1 Like

That’s great. I’ll try it out later tonight and let you know how I fair. I’ll also change the username; it’s easy enough to do.

Thanks again to you and Afre for the help!

1 Like

Observe the width. :poop:

Looks like there is a lot of black space to the right of the stacked image.

Yikes how did that happen. Was the program trying to make a panorama of it instead of a stack?