Micro 4/3 and LCP

LR does it automatically with my OM-D. RT does not do it automatically.

Lensfun works well.
Thanks for the feedback! Nice to know the facts.

The interesting thing is though: the distortions are not visible on the camaera’s display in liveview, as far as I remember
when I was taking the shot, I was looking for the wide-angle distortion and was not sure whether my lens is wide enough or had any distaortions at all

And one more thing: In LR there appears to be no way to undo the correction. there is the option tho correct the correction, but the result is that one part of the photo is cropped, if you try to undo the correction manually

Most, if not all, camera displays tend to show you what the JPG will look like. This is something to be aware of if you shoot raw. For example, the display/histogram may show highlight clipping when the raw will not actually clip (because of a high-contrast setting for example).

@betazoid first point:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/The_Image_Editor_Tab#Eek.21_My_Raw_Photo_Looks_Different_than_the_Camera_JPEG

2 Likes

Micro Four Thirds cameras have a lens correction profile (lcp) saved with the raw file, but not applied to the raw file.

Many software, including some third party software like Adobe PS and LR, apply this lcp automatically when processing the raw file. These images look like the JPEG, which in turn looks like the on-screen live view for all cameras when in live view.

Other raw software ignores the embedded lcp, like DxO and RawTherapee and RPP64. These processed raw files will not look like the live view (or JPEG) seen in the camera.

Can you prove that?

I have a lot of m43 experience and can confirm it from experience.

Proof is not something I have sought.

There is some information here, from 2011.

@T_N_Args, the correction parameters are definitely in the metadata (just use exiftool to see them), but I don’t think they come in the form of an embedded LCP file. Could this be the source of the misunderstanding?

Fair chance you’re confusing opcodes with LCP.

@Morgan_Hardwood I already asked but got no satisfactory answer.
Is there somwhere a libre SW capable to decode the opcodes? (not a hex dump)

@gaaned92 I also don’t know - let me know if you find something!

@agriggio: Sure, maybe I gave the wrong impression when I wrote ‘lens correction profile’ and people mistakenly thought I wrote it’s a file within a file. m43 raw files do carry unapplied lens correction information, which is a lens correction profile in my book, no matter whether or not it conforms with some profiling file format.

Morgan asked a vague question and I thought the question was ‘can I prove that m43 raw files have lens correction information embedded but not applied’. After all, that’s what I wrote about the raw files.

ok, I think the misunderstanding has been solved. the problem for RT though is that LCP is a documented format, but the embedded corrections parameters are vendor specific (afaik), and we don’t know how to use them

Should those vendors want support and publish or help the developers to understand how to use that data, I’m sure it’d eventually get done.

Users of those companies’ products should let the company know that open is better :wink:

That is not only categorically impossible, but it also does not adhere to facts.

I also have the problem with my MFT camera: Panasonic G9 with Hallo,
Leica DG 12-60 f/2.8-4.0
RT offers under Profieled Lens Correction - Manually exactly the lens, but it doesn’t offer any distortion correction, only the vignetting.
What is the right setting if a lens like the 12-60mm is not supported? is Distortion Correction - Automatic the right one?

If I click Distortion Correction on Automatic, the distortion will be removed.
The Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 lens is different. I can click on Select the lens profile on Automatically and then select Geometric and Chromatic aberration.

micha

Profiled lens correction can only correct distortion if the profile contains distortion parameters.
If the jpg embedded in the raw file is distortion corrected you can use the ‘Automatc distortion correction’ button. RT then compares the embedded jpeg to the raw to calculate distortion parameters.

1 Like

Hallo Ingo,
danke für die schnelle Antwort.
Was ist die richtig Einstellung, wenn RawTherapee ein Objektiv sowohl bei Objekitvkorrekturprofil: Automaitisch die Korrektur der Verzeichnung und der CA ermöglicht, als auch bei Verzeichniskorrektur: Automatisch möglich ist? Welches ist die bessere Variante? Bequemer für mich als Nutzer ist Verzeichniskorrektur + Automatisch, weil das bei all meinen Panasoinic Leica Objektiven unterstützt wird. Geht dabei vielelicht die CA verloren?
Dank und frohe Ostern im Voraus
micha

Zu Korrektur der chromatischen Aberrationen verwende ich immer die Auto-Korrektur im Raw-tab:
grafik
Wichtig ist, nur eine CA-Korrektur zu aktivieren, also entweder im Raw-Tab oder bei der Objektiv-Korrektur.

Bzgl. der Verzeichnungskorrektur sollte ein gutes Objektiv-Profile bessere Ergebnisse liefern als die automatische Korrektur über den Button.