Middle button drag to scroll modules up and down in darktable

Feature request to use middle mouse button drag to scroll up and down the modules area like if you were dragging the scroll bar but without having to reach the scroll bar? Just middle drag anywhere over a module and scrolls. Would it have any conflict with some modules that could use the middle mouse button for something? I don’t think so. I know we cannot use mouse wheel because if you are over a parameter bar it changes with the mouse wheel, which I like. So middle dragging could be used to scroll. I find it easier than reaching the narrow scroll bar every time.
What do you think? Trying to find the code of the dragging in the scroll bars and see if it would be easy to copy it into middle mouse drag.

Hi hedac, welcome to the forum.

I believe feature requests shouldn’t be opened here, but on redmine (https://redmine.darktable.org/projects/darktable/issues) or github (Issues · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub).

Thank you… I’ll participate on suggesting features there. Which one is better? github or redmine? Why are both used? I’m confused.

on the topic of scrolling panels… maybe we can use this forum post to discuss about it to see if it is worth asking for this feature request. How do you think we can improve it? Do you find yourself scrolling panels many times? Using the option “expand single module at a time” helps to scroll less, but even with that, some of the modules don’t fit on a small screen laptop for example, if you expand masks etc.

How many times you go aiming for the scroll bar to scroll and you accidentally click the area where to toggle the side panels? I believe that the area should be used as area to activate the scroll bar, and only hide/show the panels when clicking on the actual triangle button. The rest of the area is precious to be able to grab the scroll bar more easily.

The answer to both questions is yes, but the one that is irritating to me is accidentally toggling the side panel.

Good point! Let’s wait for others to see what they think about this.

As for which one is better, honestly, I don’t know.

I actually don’t mind any of these issues. I rarely use dt but when I used filmic, I found the dropper proximity to the slider troublesome because I often make the slider jump to the extreme right when trying to toggle the dropper. There might even be a pixel where I activate both the slider and the dropper, but I am not 100% sure since I am going by memory.

Right now, I compensate by clicking on the right edge of the dropper; actually the space to the right of the actual icon.