Migrate From Flatpak To darktable Source

I have been using the Flatpak version of darktable but I want to migrate to building it myself from source. I was successful in building darktable 3.8.1 from git.

But I cannot seem to import the previous and existing xmp files when I import photos from a directory in the new 3.8.1.

I have spent some hours on this and I honestly cannot recall everything I have tried :frowning:

I do have the 3.8.1 version set to ā€œLook for updated XMP files on startupā€ toggled on.

I am a little bit stumped here.

I am also using a portable USB harddrive to store my photos. That was not a problem with the Flatpak version but the 3.8.1 version seems to want to create a directory on my laptop drive under my ~/Pictures directory where it imports the photos from the USB drive.

In both the Flatpak and 3.8.1 versions, the settings in Settings>Import are exactly the same as far as the paths for Base Directory Naming Pattern ((PICTURES_FOLDER)/Darktable) and Sub Directory Naming Pattern ((YEAR)(MONTH)(DAY)_$(JOBCODE)) although I am not sure this has anything to do with it.

I am thinking there is a database somewhere that Flatpak has used and the new version doesnā€™t know about it?

I really donā€™t know.

I really donā€™t want photos to be imported and copied into /home/username/Pictures/Darktable - but I do not know where this is set.

I want to work on the images on my USB hard drive.

I hope I am explaining the issue correctly! :slight_smile:

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

I seemed to have solved the problem? Or, possibly created moreā€¦

But I copied the ~/.var/app/org.darktable.Darktable/config/darktable directory to ~/.config/darktable (after backing up the last one).

That seemed to guide the new installation to the correct xmp files and when I added to library a new directory of photos, it did not copy them to ~/Pictures/Darktable.

For anyone else that might be wanting to do the same thing of migrating their Flatpak installation of darktable.

Iā€™m still curious though where its configured to copy photos to ~/Pictures/Darktable and how that could be changed in the future if need be.

You choose to do that by which button you click in the import module. See darktable 3.8 user manual - import