Mirrorless cameras & Astro / Milky Way Photography

Hi everyone;

Has anyone had success with the Electronic Viewfinders of mirrorless cameras in low / astrophotography situations. I had a Nikon Z7 back in 2019, the first time I took it out at noght and looked through the viewfinder all I saw was static. So I bought a D850 which I’m mostly happy with, however I really want to upgrade to a medium format, I’m looking at the Hasselblas X2d 100c, a beautiful camera but I dont want to get setup for a shot of the Milky Way and see nothing but static in the EV / Viewfinder. I have read that the newer EV’s are significantly better but have seen few references to night / astro photography and zero posts about the X2d.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance

Yes, i only used mirrorless cameras for milky way and some deep sky objects and they all (sony a7ii, Fuji xt2, Fuji xt3, Panasonic s5 and various Olympus camera) worked just fine.

I wonder… do you use the OVF to focus on the stars with your D850? I’d think that to be unusual. I would only ever use the live view for that, and that’s what I’ve seen the “pros” doing in Youtube also.

But if you use the live view then there is no difference to mirrorless, is there?

Agreed, however in live view I generally only see static, I found an article discussing it here Live-View Focusing

I’ll try this and see if that was my issue

You might have some wrong settings, i never had this problem with any of the cameras. The best was by far the Panasonic S5, it was almost like having night vision.

All;

I decided to buy the Hasselblad X2d and the 38mm f/2.5 lens. I still see the same ‘static’ issue with the live view, however I do not regret my decision, I use a point and guess method for the milky way and refine based on the shot post preview images, the Hasselblad images are amazing!

Here is an example

2 Likes

That’s pretty nice. Lots of stars, so many in fact it took a while for me to find the Teapot. I found the Pipe Nebula, then M7, then M24, but the bright stars of Sagittarius are buried in all those Milky Way stars. I had to triangulate off the two Messier objects to pick out the Teapot stars.

Yeah, and that’s a reduced size image, the full size image is 2-3x bigger / more detailed