Monitor Calibration

So I’ve, again, calibrated my screen with the Spyder 4. This time I set the white point to what the device itself measured rather than 5000-6000k and got something I like. I do feel that perhaps it is a bit …light? I will upload two images here. They seem just right, somewhere in the lighter side of mid tones; but I fear the details are actually dark and my screen is just making them look okay. Pls help :frowning:

And here’s the PP3 if anyone cares. Feel free to use if you like :slight_smile:
ND7_8583-2.jpg.out.pp3 (9.2 KB)

Location: Opera square in the city of Timisoara, Romania. [Google Maps]

@stefan.chirila whitepoint sets the warmth of “white” (and yes a lower temperature [blue] does appear brighter than a warmer temperature [orange]), but it sounds like you’re having an issue not with the whitepoint but with the white level (measured in cd/m2)? Typically 120 cd/m2 is used even if your monitor can go brighter.

The JPEG photo looks nice on my calibrated + profiled screen in a color-managed viewer. The histogram shows that it’s underexposed by 0.3 stops. Looks like you intentionally clipped and lifted the shadows for a washed-film look. The people in the lower photo are too dark, but if the subject of the photos are the buildings, then they look great.

Thanks for reviewing. Yes I chose to keep the extreme highlights a little lower to preserve the tones in the evening sky a little more without needing to do any kind of HDR. :slight_smile:

Preventing clipping is one thing, and “doing HDR”, i.e. tone-mapping, is another. You can safely bump the exposure by +0.3 without clipping anything - without losing any details or colors.