Mono files question

Hello,
I’m a new user of RawTherapee - switched from ufraw+gimp.
I think I’m getting the hang of it for raws from the digital camera, and even for DNGs and/or RGB tiffs from negative scans.
However it does not open the 16-bit greyscale TIFFs that I generate from B/W negatives. Is this a design feature or just an oversight, in that no-one actually thought of using RT for non-raw monochrome before?
My programming skills are mainly in Fortran so I don’t think I’d have much chance of making a patch!

James

What happens when you try to open a tif? Any chance you can upload a sample file for us to look at? (You can use a service like https://filebin.net/)

I’ve always scanned my back and white film as color. I find grabbing the red channel gives me a touch more lattitude in my adjustments.

RT does not support files with only one channel. Though the files are a bit larger, the solution is to save files with 3 channels (as @paperdigits suggested) or convert the one channel files to three channel files before loading them.

Only RGB files are supported.

Thanks everyone for the clarifications.
I would suggest that it would be nice to have an error message rather than just bringing up the RT window with no file opened.

Sorry coming into this a little late! If you have monochrome .tif files already, you can invoke a simple imagemagick command to convert them to RGB automatically:

$ convert {INFILENAME}.tif -depth 16 -type TrueColor {OUTNAME}.tif

If you want to do a folder full of .tif files:

$ mogrify -depth 16 -type TrueColor *.tif

I think going to start a file one-liners in our github scripts repo :smile:

I’ve got several of them.