Monthly Calendar Script for Scribus

I made a script for Scribus in order to generate a calendar in pdf with following options:

1. You can choose between more than 20 languages (default is English).

2. You can choose a font from the list of fonts available on your system. Please check if all special characters for your language are available in the choosen font! You can change fonts afterwards in the Scribus styles menu.

3. Calendar year and week starting day are to be given. Saturdays and Sundays will be printed in grey.

4. Option to show week numbers with (or without) a week numbers heading in your local language. Calendar week numbers will be printed in grey.

5. Option to import holidays and special days from a ‘holidays.txt’ file for your country. See the sample files in the download for the layout of the entries. Official holidays will be printed in red.

6. Option to import a ‘moonphases.txt’ file in order to draw the moon phase symbols on the calendar.

7. Select one or more months or the whole year.

8. You have the possibility to determine where on the page the calendar month will be drawn with the offsets from top and / or left margin. Option to draw an empty image frame within the top and / or left ‘offset’ area and to get an ‘inner’ margin between this frame and the calendar grid (see examples below).

9. Option to draw draw mini calendars for previous and next months in the calendar month heading.

10. You can hide the separate layers for grid, moons, holiday texts and images. Use of different styles for month title, weekday names, week numbers, moon phases, holiday texts, mini calendars and dates which can be changed individually. Automatic change to abbreviated weekday names if cells are too small. Many build-in controls.

Link to the script: http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,3495.msg16862.html?PHPSESSID=vucmepn3fa61210dpumotvfjvq#msg16862

Works with Scribus 1.5 on Linux and Windows 10. I hope it will be usefull for someone.

Rafferty

10 Likes

@rafferty:
Great script, I tried it quickly on “Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia” and it’s definitely usable now that it’s time to make a calendar for 2020. I wil try this script further on this week with images (i don’t have suitable photos yet).

For those interested: new version 4 of the Monthly Calendar Script: Monthly Calendar script

Changes:

• Addition of custom colors and styles for texts, fills and lines for several parts of the calendar: simply edit the color or style for month name, day names, week numbers, holidays, etc. and it will be applied to all calendar months.
  • Holidays.txt file changed in order to include automatic calculation of holidays for the nth workday of month for every year.
  • Moonphases.txt updated to 2020-2025.
  • Instructions file included with worked out example to demonstrate the use of custom colors and styles.
4 Likes

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

I’m getting an error when trying to run the script:
NameError: global name 'defineColorCMYK' is not defined

Is there a python package or similar that needs to be installed?

Hi Simon,

‘defineColorCMYK’ is a Scribus command. You do not need to install additional python packages. But you have to run the script from within Scribus 1.5.5. At the installation of Scribus the python libraries needed by this script are already installed. I have tested it on Windows 10 and Linux Mint 20 but not on Mac.

note: there is also a version for Scribus 1.5.6 svn in the Scribus forum.

I hope this helps,
Rafferty

Latest version https://github.com/RaffertyR/Monthly-calendar-script-for-Scribus.
Now also year calendar script: https://github.com/RaffertyR/Year-Calendar-Script-for-Scribus.

2 Likes