Moonrise over Säntis

This is the view out of the window of my dads place, taken from the dining table.
Every so often the moon comes close to one of the local mountains.

I’ve wanted to take a picture of that scene for a long time.
I remember attemping it with a camera back when I was a child - with no success.

Since I’ve now finally got a lens capable of doing a decent job at taking this scene I wanted to give it another shot. So with the help of Stellarium and a few calculations I figured out a few dates where there would be decent constellations (near full moon, close to the mountain). More often than not the weather wasn’t in my favor. Needless to say I was quite excited when all the variables for the photo finally seemed to line up. I was a bit disheartened when I saw the sky fill with clouds & haze as the moon was about to rise. I was pretty sure that the only reward I might take home that day would be the knowledge that I got the math right. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw just how clearly the moon was visible behind the clouds and aligned beautifully with the mountain.

I find the photo to be quite difficult to edit to replicate like what it looked like. There is a decent amount of dynamic range and ‘mixed’ light. To my eye the moon had just a hint of yellow/orange, the snow looked white and the sky had that blue hour glow. Should make for a fun play raw. I hope you enjoy fiddling with it as much as I did. :slight_smile:

DSC01823.ARW (81.7 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, BY-NC-SA.

35 Likes

Really cool shot, quick edit in RT dev (maybe a bit too dark now that I look at it…)

DSC01823.ARW.pp3 (48.4 KB)

1 Like

DT 3.8

DSC01823.ARW.xmp (10.8 KB)

4 Likes

Beautiful picture, and very difficult to edit. Made a try with filmulator.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say it’s a beautiful image. I’m not sure I can get anything worth sharing out of it; if I do, I’ll post it later.

DSC01823-2.jpg.out.arp (25.8 KB)

1 Like

A beautiful image!
A quick play in GIMP.

2 Likes

Krita 5.0.2 (RawTherapee: RAW->TIFF)

Beautiful image! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Great photograph but not as easy to develop as initially I thought.

DSC01823.ARW.xmp (23.1 KB)

4 Likes

My attempt GIMP-LAB_denoise GMIC

The issue of colors gets a lot easier with monochrome…

With Filmulator:

• Demosaic method on (LMMSE)
  • Exposure comp +1
  • Temperature 4630 to get the right balance of brightness
  • NR on
  • NR Strength 14 (in upcoming version; it would be lower in the current nightlies)
  • Speckle NR Strength 2.7
  • Shadow Rolloff Point 0.0028
  • Film Area 57.7 to widen the effect radius
  • Drama 100
  • Overdrive on
  • White Clipping Point 0.659
  • Shadow Brightness 672
  • Monochrome on
3 Likes

ART

Just on time!

1 Like

DT3.8
DSC01823.ARW.xmp (16.9 KB)

1 Like

DSC01823.ARW.xmp (14.3 KB)

DT 3.8

4 Likes

DT3.8

1 Like

Darktable 3.4.1 + Gimp 2.10.22

DSC01823.pfi (68.4 KB)

White balance on the snow, local contrast and oklab tonemapping

DSC01823.ARW.xmp (11.4 KB)

DSC01823_01.ARW.xmp (19.8 KB)

3 Likes

A second try - with the snow whitened.

2 Likes

Nice shot. Thanks for sharing it. My try with gimp.

1 Like