Morning Haze At Etretat

Have been there only once, in the late morning hours and the view was great.
Checking the taken pictures, it was disappointing to see the jpg ooc.
Luckily that time, i had started to keep the RAW files and this pic challenged me to learn processing with RT. Lateron I also tried Lightroom, but came back to RT very quickly.

Ok, here the OOC

and here one of my 50 RT-tries

DSC03796.ARW (23,8 MB)
DSC03796.ARW.pp3 (19,6 KB) (RT-Version 5.8-2781-gbb12519ee)

88x31
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

curious, what you can get out of it…
BTW: many thanks to @Andy_Astbury1, i learned a lot of your videos and i am still watching them and learning!

13 Likes

I like it as it is. Just a bit of colour boosting and tiny local contrast increase, plus watermark for everyone to hate it.

And yet another b/w edit with strong IR-like blooming effect, vignetting and grain.

6 Likes

DSC03796.jpg.out.pp3 (14.2 KB)

6 Likes

wow, such lovely results and such quickly! it took me hours to get an acceptable version…

Try to make it “sunny” and to keep the haze in the distance.

DSC03796.ARW.xmp (18.2 KB)

1 Like

etretat.pp3 (19.2 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 (Development)

Beautiful place, isn’t it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

My attempt with dt 3.4.1

DSC03796.ARW.xmp (9.6 KB)

2 Likes

DSC03796.ARW.xmp (9.4 KB) DSC03796_01.ARW.xmp (9.9 KB)

3 Likes

Interesting exercise. To put some definition into the peeps, I did some “capture sharpening”, not @heckflosse’s well-crafted tool, just a bit of convolution sharpening on the full-resolution image. A bit of additional whitebalance correction over the as-shot, filmic curve put in some punch. That’s it, here’s the full-resolution image (JPEG quality=85), from rawproc:

4 Likes

@ggbutcher I know that you usually don’t go full resolution, so I’m not sure you would have noticed the “blockiness” in the dark areas pointed out. Otherwise, very nice!

@sls141 I just wanted to post the same, but you’ve been faster :wink:

Hello, here is my try with DT, thanks for sharing,

DSC03796.ARW.xmp (15.7 KB)

2 Likes

One of (too many) places I still want to visit! Thanks for sharing.

DSC03796_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.5 KB)

3 Likes

JPEG compression. Much reduced when I saved it with quality=95, but that image is almost 9MB, so I won’t impose it on the forum.

That’s one of the reasons I don’t post full-resolution; I prefer to do a quality resize to the approximate viewing dimensions and save with as little compression as possible. PNG looked fine at full resolution, but 44MB… :boom:

2 Likes

Strange. I saved my version with quality = 92 without getting this blocky artifacts…

Which jpeg quality did you use?

I just spent quality time comparing 100, 95, 92, and 85; viewed at 100%, you can start to see the DCT blocks at 92, but in that cave they look more like the deep shadow variation of the cave wall. 85, definitely visible. I had it set to 95 before I started this PlayRay, going back to that now…

I hadn’t implemented an interface to PNG compression level, but I might do that before I issue rawproc 1.1.

3 Likes

Are you using the same library? Quality may differ depending on the library and internal settings. I.e., 95% of app A could be different from that of app B.

I’ve just finished inventorying the different JPEG, PNG, and TIFF libraries I’m using, and I think I’m going to need to individually compile each for releases. Particularly the AppImage, as this just picks up whatever library the OS deems sufficient. What I want to be using for JPEG is libjpeg-turbo; I know I get this with my Windows mxe static builds, but everywhere else is a bit of a crapshoot.

I know some probably think I’m nuts for static linking, but it gives me control over stuff like this.

Thanks for posting , such a lovely place
dt 3.4.1

DSC03796_05.ARW.xmp (14.9 KB)

3 Likes

Great Shot! Darktable 3.4.1 mit ContrastEqualizer and masks

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes