Morning Haze At Etretat

One of (too many) places I still want to visit! Thanks for sharing.

DSC03796_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.5 KB)

3 Likes

JPEG compression. Much reduced when I saved it with quality=95, but that image is almost 9MB, so I won’t impose it on the forum.

That’s one of the reasons I don’t post full-resolution; I prefer to do a quality resize to the approximate viewing dimensions and save with as little compression as possible. PNG looked fine at full resolution, but 44MB… :boom:

2 Likes

Strange. I saved my version with quality = 92 without getting this blocky artifacts…

Which jpeg quality did you use?

I just spent quality time comparing 100, 95, 92, and 85; viewed at 100%, you can start to see the DCT blocks at 92, but in that cave they look more like the deep shadow variation of the cave wall. 85, definitely visible. I had it set to 95 before I started this PlayRay, going back to that now…

I hadn’t implemented an interface to PNG compression level, but I might do that before I issue rawproc 1.1.

3 Likes

Are you using the same library? Quality may differ depending on the library and internal settings. I.e., 95% of app A could be different from that of app B.

I’ve just finished inventorying the different JPEG, PNG, and TIFF libraries I’m using, and I think I’m going to need to individually compile each for releases. Particularly the AppImage, as this just picks up whatever library the OS deems sufficient. What I want to be using for JPEG is libjpeg-turbo; I know I get this with my Windows mxe static builds, but everywhere else is a bit of a crapshoot.

I know some probably think I’m nuts for static linking, but it gives me control over stuff like this.

Thanks for posting , such a lovely place
dt 3.4.1

DSC03796_05.ARW.xmp (14.9 KB)

3 Likes

Great Shot! Darktable 3.4.1 mit ContrastEqualizer and masks

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Wow you are great! Thank you to everyone who looked at this picture. I am delighted with the different approaches and have learned a lot.

Somes description of the workflow sounds so simple, others have met the mood that I experienced up there very well.

Some, on the other hand, were able to preserve the colors of the people on the rock very well, with me they are mostly either faded or looked neon-like. I also like the crops, or the implementation in BW.

I see, there is still a lot to learn for me. Thanks a lot to all of you for your contributions!

9 Likes

Oh! It looks good like that. Perhaps making a polyptych is the way to go.

1 Like

Wysyłanie: DSC03796-HDR_Neutral-LAB.jpg

2 Likes

@Zbyma72age Hello and welcome in the forum . I like your edit very much. Which software did you use for this?
marter

Ok, scrolling up you will find some *.xmp or *.pp3 files uploaded with the edit.
This file is created by dark table or rawtherapee during the edit. Usually you will find it in the same folder as the original file.

After editing a pic in PlayRaw its normal to upload this file to, so everybody can learn, how you did it. :blush:

Could you pls share it to us?

@marter

As stated by @Zbyma72age in the link he posted above: He uses GIMP to do these edits. I don’t think Pat David will be too happy if people start uploading xcf files (these easily get a few hundred Mb) :wink:

@Jade_NL Thanks for your information, I don’t see any state about gimp, that’s why I asked.

How I can find that information by myself?

Edit: ok, I found in the text. My bad.

It is in the link he posted. Multiple times. This link:

You can also download the file and look at the exif/metadata info.

1 Like

I am Not using Gimp, the edit can be found in the meta-data?

Nope.

Some editors, GIMP an Krita being examples, have a different way of saving their edits: Layers. Each layer can be the size of and/or contain (parts of) the original image so these project files (you cannot call them sidecars) can become rather large. I have a few xcf files (GIMP project files) that are close to 5 Gb in size.

Unless the poster is willing to go into details or is willing to upload the project file somewhere you are out of luck. Pixls has a limit how big the files can be that you upload. With good reason…

1 Like

Ok, now i unterstand, thanks a lot!