Moving Storage Location for Albums Only - v.6.4.0 for Mac

Using digikam v.6.4.0 for Mac I would like to move my collection that is now in /Users/myhomedirectory/Pictures to an external SSD. My database will remain on my internal drive.
From a previous, somewhat confusing discussion I assume that I would need to create a collection directory on the external drive, copy all albums to that directory, and then in digikam Preferences/Collections Settings–Collections on Removable Media, click “Add Collections” and chose the destination directory–all while digkam is running and then delete the original directories from the internal drive. Is that so?

I would rather add an empty folder from the external drive as a collection to digiKam first and then move the images from the old collection to the new one within digikam.

1 Like

Thank-you, Andrius. That makes sense.

And now to execute that process in digikam I need to know how to direct the application to: /Volumes/External01/PicsExt01
There does not seem to be a way in digikam to navigate to that directory on the micro SD card in order to add it as a collection. What am I missing?

Aha! I have just realized that although one can’t navigate to the removable media in order to select it, one can simply type the path in the dialog and hit return and that works to establish the new collection. Sorry to waste the bandwidth but perhaps someone will also not realize the solution and benefit by my trials.

Cheers!

1 Like

I remember I had to right click in the navigator window and check the box ‘show hidden folders’ on one of the linux distributions. Not sure what hidden folder is but I made a folder on an external drive visible. Maybe it is the same on Mac?

1 Like

It’s a good thought. Thanks. I did have ‘show hidden folders’ engaged but that didn’t help. The fact that digikam doesn’t see external devices in the ‘Add Collection’ dialog must be an omission in the digikam UI for Mac. But at least you can type the path to the device in the Add Collection dialog and all goes well.

I remember mine did not show up as a USB drive properly (pinned in the left panel) but it did show up in the folder where my linux distro mounts external drives e.g. /media/user/myusbdriveid
Not sure if that applies to Mac os but I thought I would mention

1 Like

Under MacOS, external volumes are mounted at /Volumes at the root level of the startup disk. But Finder do not show it, you will have to make them visible if not available within Dk, or use Onyx App.

1 Like