MPB Europe Warranty Services

I had previously bought from and sold to MPB and I had a generally good experience. So much so that I started recommending MPB to everyone looking to buy or sell used camera equipment.

Sure, their prices are usually even up to 20% higher than buying off of the local used market, but in my mind it was all worth it for two reasons: on one hand, each of their items is photographed individually so you get to see and pick exactly the one you want and on the other hand, all their products come with six months of warranty.

It was when it came to check in on said warranty that my experience with MPB changed. And not for the better.

3 Likes

Good on you!

One of the reasons I choose to shoot Fuji (and use manual lenses) is because of the way the stuff just… feels — for me, it’s a very big part of the whole. The issues you’re refering to with the shutter button would destroy that experience for me — there’s nothing more satisfying than feeling the tactical feedback of the first engagement before feeling that second one just before the snap of the shutter.

And as far as spending hard-earned cash is concerned, I’ll refer to the words straight from my website: “I expect what I was promised, on time, every time, and at the right price (and not to be taken for an idiot by excepting anything less).”

2 Likes

While you have a right to be critical of the service as you describe it, keep in mind that warranty services of camera companies can be terrible too. Especially with lenses, which have no clear quality specs (at least available to the consumer), whether they consider some mild optical flaw acceptable depends on the service center.

I find it best to buy in a shop I trust (fortunately there are many in Budapest that are run by photographers). Then I can take stuff in and so far they have always sorted out the problem to my satisfaction with the manufacturer.

For bodies, I don’t mind the lack of warranty on used cameras. I consider it an advantage if they had at least 2k exposures (ideally more, like 5k, but these days many people sell stuff right after they buy it, which I find strange), that is enough for most mechanical flaws to surface. Then in the unlikely case of a problem I take the camera to a 3rd party repair shop. And as for lenses, it is easy to test them in person before buying.

Good service, bad service, in-between service… For those of us with no local camera stores online is the only option. I’ve used MPB and KEH a few times but so far, so good. Maybe I got lucky, maybe others got unlucky… ?

1 Like

And fantastic too! :wink:

1 Like

I’ve bought most of my gear privately… so far so good… but I don’t know that it’s a safe option for more expensive stuff.

My most expensive lens was bought used from a chain camera store - albeit a bricks-and-mortar one - as I liked the 1 year warranty. Haven’t needed it yet :wink:

In general, these sellers all exist on a curve between risk and cheapness.

Buying off ebay is cheapest, but risk is high. Buying new is safest, but most expensive. MPB is a middle ground. I haven’t tried their warranty yet, but I wouldn’t expect wonders. But at least they do offer free returns for two weeks after the sale.

I find it useful to include the risk in my price assessment. For the longest time, I figured ebay worthwhile even if 5% of my purchases had to be written off entirely. Given that prices over there are usually a good 10% lower, I’d still come out ahead. But as I get older and value my time higher than my money, I’m now more inclined to services like MPB, and the amount of hassle they save.

1 Like

I agree and for the same reasons, even after all of this, I purchased a Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 from them. It just arrived 20 minutes ago and it came in it’s original box with everything and it looks pristine. Had I not known, I wouldn’t for a second, believe this is not brand new.

Oh, and it was a good €200 cheaper than anything else I could find on the local used market.

1 Like

Personally, I’ve always been impressed with Fujifilm’s warranty service — I’ve used it several times over the years, and practically ended up with a new camera each time (they replace so many parts and fully service the lot). I’ve likely just been lucky, though.

As far as their non-warranty service goes, that’s pretty good as well — but I’m also lucky to have several independant camera stores close by that have a really good reputation (plus, I do a lot of camera/lens repair myself — when practical to do so).

1 Like

I’ve had good experiences with Fuji’s services as well. In particular, all three out-of-warranty repairs I’ve had were under €200, which is in stark contrast to the two repairs I’ve attempted with Nikon gear, but abandoned due to too high fees.

However, in Germany, they are very slow. Repairs are done in the UK, and take four to six weeks. They always give you an inexpensive (€25) loaner for the duration, if you ask.

2 Likes

Fuji has pulled licenses to all official repair facilities in my country for whatever reason.

Wow… Nothing quite like being potentially left in a lurch, eh? Kind of makes one wonder what’s next…

1 Like

As far as I can tell, the repair service is still active here in the UK:

However, I no longer get any replies from them when messaging by email (i.e. using the website ‘contact us’ form) — that’s also somewhat concerning. :thinking:

I have never used KEH or MPB, although I would be tempted to do so if they were significantly cheaper than buying new. Whenever I’ve looked at their stock and gone through the checkout process, the prices always seem to be very close to buying new because they don’t ship from within Canada. So, I have to pay international shipping prices, which just eats up any cost savings there might be on the equipment itself.

As for Fuji service, I’m currently considering sending my XF16-80mm lens to have the front element replaced. I have a small scratch right in the middle that somewhat bothers me. But I don’t really know if it’s economically the right thing to do. I have to ship it to the other side of Canada and then pay for the repair, which might end up as $300 or so. I could probably buy a used Samyang or Viltrox lens for that price.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I found Fuji repairs surprisingly affordable. I’ve had a shutter button assembly, a lens mount, a zoom grip, and an aperture ring replaced (on different occasions). And each was less than €200, which I find fair.

Also know that you can ask them for a loaner for the duration of the repair. They will charge a flat fee (€25) for as long as it takes to repair. Over here in Germany, repairs take six weeks on average (probably mostly because they have to ship stuff to the repair center in the UK).

1 Like

Similar experiences here: I foolishly botched a TLC job and ruined the sensor on an X-T10 (in my defence, I was still ‘learning the trade’ back then :blush:); not only did Fuji replace the sensor for the cost of a standard repair, but they took the time to carry out a full service, (which included ‘upgrading’ the camera grip and several other moving parts) — I basically ended up with a brand new camera, plus a ‘new’ warranty!

Their UK service website still seems active — hopefully it’s just a case of them no longer replying to general email enquiries.

2 Likes

Thanks @bastibe and @martbetz, that’s good to hear. I’ll give it a try and see how it goes. Then I’ll know at least for any future repairs I might have.