Mt. Cook on a Hazy Day

Hi All,

Here’s an image I’m sort of stuck on. This is a photo of Mt. Cook from a recent trip to New Zealand (amazing country btw). The day was a bit hazy, so I’ve been trying to deal with that in the processing. The best result I have so far is to do a masked contrast adjustment with color balance rgb. Contrast equalizer seems like it could work too. Curious to see what other people can do. Have at it!

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (52.5 KB)

Here’s the raw:
DSC_7380.NEF (27.7 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

8 Likes

My version…

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (21.0 KB)

3 Likes

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (13.8 KB)

3 Likes

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (14.6 KB)

My version, in ART 1.21.24.

I didn’t use the haze removal tool, I just did a very slight downward bump of the shadows on Mt. Cook itself. I think removing any more of the (IMO) extremely minimal* haze would remove depth and flatten the image.

DSC_7380.NEF.arp (21.9 KB)

To my eye, that’s a very clear day, not hazy at all. Although shot in Colorado, living in the deep south US (as I do) this is what I think of when someone says “haze”. :smiley:

IMG_1754

1 Like

For what you want, I feel you have done an excellent job. I have tried and cannot improve upon the ultraclear look you have created for Mt Cook. The color balance rgb module has become one of my favourite tools.

As a proud Kiwi, I could not resist the draw of having a go at this one.
I agree with previous opinion: Haze? What haze?
However I found the bush-clad foreground hill overpowered the mountain, so cropped it somewhat and dialed down the exposure there.
Thanks for the image to play with!

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (10.8 KB)

3 Likes

Nice photo to play with :slight_smile:

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (25.0 KB)

though aoraki does look interesting with some atmospherics. this image is a bit older, has a tad more snow too:

this is looking the other way:

6 Likes

My Fun with GIMP

2 Likes

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (19.7 KB)

1 Like

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (8.3 KB)

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (29.6 KB)

crop to the top…

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (13.7 KB)

4 Likes

DSC_7380-40.jpg.out.arp (11.3 KB) ART 1.18

I set the white balance to the camera daylight preset, used the auto-matched tone curve, and the Adobe standard camera profile. The mountain’s blue haze seems to give a sense of depth.

1 Like

Nice! I couldn’t decide whether to go BW or not…

DSC_7380.NEF.xmp (17.8 KB)
The XMP is for the colour version - to get the BW version just apply the Fuji Acros 100 preset in color calibration - in the plain instance, not the one labelled ‘darken blue sky’.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! Yes, I guess haze wasn’t exactly the right term. :sweat_smile: I sort of forgot that Aoraki was still far away in the distance. However, I think I have some better strategies now to deal with the atmospheric scattering.

@martin.scharnke I hope I can visit NZ again one day!

Thanks for the mention, but although I am a proud Kiwi :new_zealand: I have lived in other countries (previously :de:, now :australia:) these past 32 years - go figure! I hope you can visit NZ again, but I also hope I can enjoy another visit to the South Island, which I haven’t managed beyond Picton since my childhood.