Multiple exposures is there a better way?

I took a couple of sets of shots intending to blend them using Hugin in focus stack mode.

The first is outside Manchester Piccadilly station, I think this works moderately well. The second is inside Manchester Victoria station, all the people in this are far too transparent. In both cases I aligned the images using

align_image_stack -a "./work/align_" -m -v <list of images>

and then fused them using

enfuse -o "file.jpeg" --compression=100 --contrast-weight=1.00 --exposure-weight=0.00 --saturation-weight=0.00 --contrast-window-size=5 --hard-mask --gray-projector=luminance work/*

Obviously I need to vary the parameters to enfuse, can anyone suggest which and the values they should take?

I should note that the first shot used 14 images while the second used 35.

Use median blending to remove the moving subjects. If you endeavour to include certain individuals, blend them in afterward.

https://patdavid.net/2013/05/noise-removal-in-photos-with-median_6.html

1 Like

If you are using darktable and you are familiar with lua-plugins, you can get image_stack.lua that allows you to align images (align_imacke_stack) and use median blending (imagemagick). It allows also to use mean blending.
Instructions for installing lua_scripts to darktable can be found

1 Like

Thanks for this, see my more extended response to yteaot below

That took me a little while to set up, I have tried this with both mean and median blending as mentioned by afre.

The LUA interface is impressive and far more flexible than the style mechanism.

However I should have been clearer. The aim in the first one was to show the disregard for the significant piece of statuary while the second was to show how busy the station concourse was. I wanted to keep the fleeting images of people in the shot but perhaps make them a little clearer.

Try the various blend modes in G’MIC, ImageMagick or GIMP. Each would have a different flavour. E.g., multiply

If you like enfuse, perhaps try --exposure-weight=0 --saturation-weight=0 --contrast-weight=1 --entropy-weight=0

How about Gimp layers and layer masks. A few layers could be successful, but 15 or 35 layers can be tricky.

I have tried with the Gimp as well, I would agree that a large number of layers is a problem.

After reviewing the pictures I too I think reducing the number of exposures to a maximum of 10 and increasing the timing is the way to go.

Having said that, I am taking the camera to my fencing club tonight to try some more multiple exposures, but I am not sure that putting something like 30s between the exposures will work particularly well :grin: