My best of 2017

One from me I did recently which I liked. Done in RT.
Boats on the river Avon near Bristol UK.

9 Likes

Here are some flowers!
Wild Flower

Chrysanthemum

Hibiscus

7 Likes

Wow, nice photos. I can tell where your interests lie :smile:. I don’t take many photos myself and the ones that I do take are not worth sharing :blush: but I love to get excited about what others have taken!

2 Likes

This is such a good post. @andabata - thanks! for starting it. And the posted images are so nice! - I like them all, especially @andabata 's photograph of the bug on the leaf with his beautiful eyes, just above the equally beautiful butterfly, @Colin_Adams 's very colorful second dragonfly image, @RawConvert 's black and white photograph which reminds me a bit of Peter Henry Emerson’s photographs of boats, lakes, marshes and such, and @shreedhar 's beautiful flowers with bokeh, the third flower especially - the colors are wonderful, reminds me of colors and shapes from Martin Heade’s lovely flower paintings.

FWIW, here are my two “best of 2017”. The photograph on the left was actually taken in 2018 - my excuse for including it as “a favorite from 2017” is that I’d been trying to capture a “trees and moon both in focus” photograph for two straight months, and the weather and moon had not been cooperative until the sky cleared and the wind stopped blowing early in the morning of January 3:

15 Likes

I recently became interested in natural history. Here are a couple of 2017 efforts.

In both cases the background is water. Above the still water of a pond; below, the sea.

11 Likes

@Elle Moody. Is it me or is the photo on the right one pixel short.

I apparently was too busy fiddling around here to shoot too much this past year! :slight_smile:

This is my favorite of the year, from my old friend’s wedding up in NY. My daughter with a little sun and a flash:

Imgur
Bev in the Sunshine | At Mairi's wedding. 600EX in a rogue f… | Flickr

I am also fond of this one (though I wished I had nailed the focus instead of missing it slightly):

Imgur

and finally, one used for a quick blending tut recently:

Imgur

9 Likes

@patdavid Very punchy.

OK, I just have to ask :slight_smile: - which “one pixel” seems to be missing?

Four-spotted chaser are always a nice subject, easy to approach and shoot. Love them

10 Likes

First one is taken in Pittsburgh from the Point of View Park. Which is actually a popular spot to take pictures, but (as a tourist) I couldn’t resist :wink:

Second is a picture from (Lower) Manhattan taken from New Jersey.

5 Likes

The best are of my family, but those I don’t show in public. Other than that…

One wasn’t planned:
Imgur

And one was planned:
Imgur

13 Likes

@McCap - That second photograph, wow, it’s beautiful. The light is gorgeous.

1 Like

My shooting was sporadic, but I did get a few.

My wife cultivates orchids:
DSG_8305-small

We did take one train excursion:
DSG_9005-small

Not an outstanding composition, but it developed well:
DSG_9180a-small

7 Likes

Some speak to me more than others but I love all of these photos!

image ← Not a big deal. Likely the result of resizing and / or cropping…

1 Like

Well, thank you @Elle. :blush:
It is three exposures blended together…
…I actually did a video of how I processed that image, in case you are interested (though for you, I think it will be nothing new):

1 Like

@afre - you have sharp eyes! I cropped the image on the left to remove some excess “nothing” along the bottom, and then resized both images to the same height to put them side by side into the same frame. Well, I thought I resized both images to the same height, but apparently not, sigh.

Controlling my weight was a bit of a struggle in 2017 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Best of 2017 are no mountain portraits but landscapes and a macro:

February blossom

A young cormoran patiently wating for the right light

An April evening in Arco - including castle in the air

All shot with Minolta-MD vintage lenses.

Immanuel.

8 Likes