My father passed away

:pray: God grant you the time to grieve, the freedom to cry.

I remember your writing about him last year. Photography will likely become a trigger for you - of the good memories and the bitterness of loss.

Be gentle with yourself, and try to find an outlet for grief every day. Seek out a good listener, someone who can accompany you on this difficult journey without criticizing your thoughts, words or actions, but who can gently help pick you up when necessary.

I have buried or cremated many, many persons in my time as a pastor, especially in these last 11 years in Aged Care Chaplaincy: itā€™s never easy, no matter how long expected and how much preparation you have done, to grieve. But grieve you must. I lost my Godmother two weeks ago and - though she had been comatose and her death was a release from tenterhooks - my body still had physical reactions of grief.

If you wish to voice talk or direct-message, Iā€™d be pleased to be a listener for you.

4 Likes

My condolences.

Dealing with loss is never easy and you have to mourn 2 at the moment. Donā€™t be afraid to cry and scream if you have to, but be strong when you need to be. If at all possible let someone else take care of you for a while.

Jacques.

Sorry for your loss.

Cherish the memories and continue your journey knowing that he gave you the guidance needed to go forth without him.

RIP Tommy.

Oh, @afre, I am so sorry to hear of thisā€¦

It is truly a gift to be able to write these words about him. Says tons about his character.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words everyone (and future visitors to this thread)!

Itā€™s a tough one ā€¦ and it took me about two years to get through with it when my father died. At first there are the thousand moments of thinking ā€œOh, thatā€™s something I need to tell dad, he likes that stuffā€ and it hits you like a hammer swung at full force just half a second later.

Then comes a time where you adapt to the situation - but still miss him a lot. And finally you get to terms with it. After all - and you will hate me for this - itā€™s all good: the children bury their parents. Nature has foreseen it this way and the World keeps on turning, although yours has just stopped.

1 Like

My condolences. Your father sounds like a wonderful person. I feel the same way about my mother, who died two years ago. I consider myself incredibly blessed to have been her behavior as something to strive toward. Iā€™ve found that very comforting in the time since; I sincerely hope your memories of your fatherā€™s goodness do the same for you.

Very sorry to hear this, Afre. As others have said, allow yourself to grieve. And focus on all the things that made him a great Dad. Those memories will survive.

Very sorry to read about your loss. My condolences. Take care.

Sorry to hear about your loss @afre. When an old person passes away, it is like destroying a library. All the collected wisdom one has access to vanishes. Take care.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear this, Afre, my condolences.

Oh! :frowning:

Iā€™m sorry for your loss @afre. You have our condolences.

These times can certainly be trying and as @martin.scharnke has said, if you want someone to share with or just chat please donā€™t hesitate to reach out to me directly. I too would be happy to listen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a loving tribute to his memory. I hope that youā€™re able to find some solace in what you shared together.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear this. You have written a lovely tribute, he sounded a wonderful man. Take your time with things and be kind to yourself.

I am sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Very sorry for your loss, Afre. You wrote a great memorial to him as well.

Thanks friends! I am very much like my father and completely okay with pain and loss. Like him, I enjoy being in the company of people from all walks of life. That is why I am here. The funeral went well. A little chilly but I made sure I dressed warmly. Now that my schedule is open, perhaps it is time to take out the dusty camera and trail runners.

2 Likes

Indeed, some photo making may prove cathartic :slight_smile:

I need some recommendations! I probably know how to do this but I am simply not in the head space.

The funeral home finally retrieved our lost live stream. I want to archive it but have trouble because my internet connect is inconsistent. What are ways to download, resume if cut off and checksum. Yes, I am using Windows 10. I prefer FLOSS but want it as simple as possible. Thanks!

Actually, I think I already have it. I looked in the wrong directory~oops! But recommendations are still welcome because I like to learn new things. :nerd_face:

wget will resume aborted downloads. Windows binaries are here: GNU Wget 1.21.1 for Windows