My father passed away

My father passed away this evening. After writing an eulogy for my dear friend @chroma_ghost, now I have to do one for my father. I actually wrote about him last year My father got me into photography.

My dad (Tommy) was larger than life. Although he had been dreadfully ill for most of my life, he didn’t let it get to him or diminish his life. In fact, he was always looking out for everyone, no matter who it was, keeping everyone’s spirits up and doing more for people than they did for him. There were lots of bad people preying on his generosity but that didn’t discourage him one bit. He was just being who he was: a decent and loving human being, who showed the world that goodness is not a weakness. I am not just giving him glowing reviews: I am going to have trouble being awesome like he was. That said, I know he is still proud of me.

Goodbye dad. I will try to be as strong, brave, gracious and generous as you were.

26 Likes

May God rest his soul.

Very sorry for you loss. Please take the time to mourn and remember. May your father rest in peace.

My condolances @afre, take your time and take care in this intense period.
I did not know @chroma_ghost passed away as well, I’m sorry to hear that.

:pray: God grant you the time to grieve, the freedom to cry.

I remember your writing about him last year. Photography will likely become a trigger for you - of the good memories and the bitterness of loss.

Be gentle with yourself, and try to find an outlet for grief every day. Seek out a good listener, someone who can accompany you on this difficult journey without criticizing your thoughts, words or actions, but who can gently help pick you up when necessary.

I have buried or cremated many, many persons in my time as a pastor, especially in these last 11 years in Aged Care Chaplaincy: it’s never easy, no matter how long expected and how much preparation you have done, to grieve. But grieve you must. I lost my Godmother two weeks ago and - though she had been comatose and her death was a release from tenterhooks - my body still had physical reactions of grief.

If you wish to voice talk or direct-message, I’d be pleased to be a listener for you.

4 Likes

My condolences.

Dealing with loss is never easy and you have to mourn 2 at the moment. Don’t be afraid to cry and scream if you have to, but be strong when you need to be. If at all possible let someone else take care of you for a while.

Jacques.

Sorry for your loss.

Cherish the memories and continue your journey knowing that he gave you the guidance needed to go forth without him.

RIP Tommy.

Oh, @afre, I am so sorry to hear of this…

It is truly a gift to be able to write these words about him. Says tons about his character.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words everyone (and future visitors to this thread)!

It’s a tough one … and it took me about two years to get through with it when my father died. At first there are the thousand moments of thinking “Oh, that’s something I need to tell dad, he likes that stuff” and it hits you like a hammer swung at full force just half a second later.

Then comes a time where you adapt to the situation - but still miss him a lot. And finally you get to terms with it. After all - and you will hate me for this - it’s all good: the children bury their parents. Nature has foreseen it this way and the World keeps on turning, although yours has just stopped.

1 Like

My condolences. Your father sounds like a wonderful person. I feel the same way about my mother, who died two years ago. I consider myself incredibly blessed to have been her behavior as something to strive toward. I’ve found that very comforting in the time since; I sincerely hope your memories of your father’s goodness do the same for you.

Very sorry to hear this, Afre. As others have said, allow yourself to grieve. And focus on all the things that made him a great Dad. Those memories will survive.

Very sorry to read about your loss. My condolences. Take care.

Sorry to hear about your loss @afre. When an old person passes away, it is like destroying a library. All the collected wisdom one has access to vanishes. Take care.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear this, Afre, my condolences.

Oh! :frowning:

I’m sorry for your loss @afre. You have our condolences.

These times can certainly be trying and as @martin.scharnke has said, if you want someone to share with or just chat please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly. I too would be happy to listen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a loving tribute to his memory. I hope that you’re able to find some solace in what you shared together.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear this. You have written a lovely tribute, he sounded a wonderful man. Take your time with things and be kind to yourself.

I am sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Very sorry for your loss, Afre. You wrote a great memorial to him as well.