My first contribution

I was able to run it in Mac using an emulator (I think it was Wine), but you are right, it is not native on Mac. You can use Starry Landscape Stacker on Mac. It does the same and you can find it in the App Store.

It’s a little expensive but I’am thinking about

Siril is the free software astro stacking solution… We have an article here: PIXLS.US - Processing a nightscape in Siril

Deep Sky Stacker is open-source, as of 2018:

thks

@ggbutcher it looks to be windows only, do you know if it runs in wine?

I haven’t tried it. I’ve just observed a lot of folk at the DPReview Astrophotography forum using it.

I used it a few times, some years ago, and it’s good.
Basically Siril, but with a bit more functionality. As I recall, in the alignment part: you can choose if you want to align stars or planets.
I had a very good impression from it, and it was the only one that allowed me to stack images with very few stars at the time.
Well, but I’m completely amateur on this, so, caution with my words.

Sebastien, thanks for this excellent tutorial. I’ve downloaded Siril and your example images. What lens and aperture did you use? I’d like to play around in Darktable and use corrected tiff files instead of RAW files to see if that changes anything. Thanks.

Here’s my take from your tutorial + 6.5 EV in DT and a few other tweaks.

1 Like

Thanks! Regarding the lens and aperture used, I don’t have the files at hand, but you should see that in the exif data. If you see “12mm f/0” then it’s a Samyang 12mm f/2. Otherwise it should a Fujiflm XF 23mm f/1.4.
I’ll give more detail when I can check the files.

bravo!!

Thanks. I’m just amazed by how many stars can be pulled out by stacking, given such a short exposure of only 10s! And the reduction in noise is fantastic.

It seems that I used the Samyang 12mm f/2.0, probably at f/2.0 but I’m not sure for the aperture (but not smaller than f/2.8).

IMGP1062-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.0 KB)
RT-5.9+

Stars with a foreground is the best. Raised shadows and black point, that’s all.