My GIMP 2.10.30 stopped opening in Windows 10 Version 10.0.19044

All of a sudden my GIMP 2.10.30 stopped opening, and Windows10 Version 10.0.19044 says “Software not compatible”, repeatedly in 10 to 12 times and after some removals and some reinstallings. Before this failure some previous steps occurred, and I wonder whether they are to blame; 1) One Drive took hold of GIMP shortcurt, in a path One Drive\User\gimp 2.10. I disconnected One Drive but the problem continued. 2) In GIMP properties, an “unknown account” appeared with a very long number beginning with S-1-15-3-1024-3153509613-960666767…, which I think it has to do with Windows Defender. I love GIMP, and don’t want to lose it. What should I do? I thank you for any guidance.

Can you post a screenshot?

Yes. Not exactly from the GIMP properties, because I managed to remove that count there, but from the Windows Defender’s, where it is unremovable. By the way, this number and other likes appear in the Windows Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels and all its subfolders. Previously, one or two months ago, I also had found a number of such a format in other image editing program. Thank you for your attention.
Conta Desconhecida 2022_02_Windows Defender

duckduckgo is your friend. Search for

account unknown S-1-15-3-1024

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I just read at GIMP’s site, GIMP 2.10.30 Released - GIMP, under “GIMP 2.10.30 Released”
(GIMP 2.10.30 Released - GIMP), “OS Evolutions”,
the following note: " On Windows, we moved from GetICMProfile() to the WcsGetDefaultColorProfile() API because the former is broken in Windows 11. Thus we were failing to get monitor profiles."
Could that be the reason why my GIMP 2.10.30 is not initiating, providing my OS is Win10 and MS Windows tells me my PC lacks the basic requirements to migrate to Win11?

Another one. At GIMP’s downloads page, GIMP - Downloads, I read:
!IMPORTANT! :warning: Microsoft Store: GIMP team does not provide any downloads using Microsoft Store at the moment. Any downloads on the store are created by third party and is not in anyway connected to the GIMP team.”

Would that mean a brawl between GIMP and Microsoft, that could be affecting my version?

No, it means someone is selling a version of GIMP in the store but is not affiliated with the project. Legal, but ethically questionable.

The safest way to acquire open-source software is from the source website. (It is possible for the site to be hijacked or code to be hacked but that is another story.)

Don’t worry about Windows 11. Stick with 7 or 10. Windows 11 is beta software in my opinion. MS keeps on changing superficial things and taking away features that matter.

I just found out that my GIMP 2.10.30 is opening and fully functional in my very old laptop (that I bought as is, for typewriting purposes only), with Windows 7. This seems to mean that the problem is with my Windows 10. That has already happened before, this same Windows 10 wouldn’t open my HP Scanjet 300, but my Windows 7 would. And then, suddenly, a few months later, my Scanjet began to work again in Windows 10. Waiting, is that all I should do?

You mentioned many possible problems that may or may not have a bearing on your problem, which I believe is launching GIMP.

First, calm down and write them down on a list.
Second, order your guesses from likely to unlikely.
Third, narrow them down by process of elimination.
Fourth, go to Issues · GNOME / GIMP · GitLab.

You may not even need GIMP 2.10.30. Have you successfully used an older version on your system? It is worth a try if you cannot resolve your issues. Another suggestion would be to try a portable version of GIMP, where everything is located in one folder. Easier to clean and manage. Just don’t place it on OneDrive, since it may not play nicely with open-source software. E.g., the game Wesnoth has unresolved OneDrive issues.

Afre, thank you for your suggestions, they all converge to the steps I’m taking to try and solve my problem. One, however, strikes me mostly as a possible cause, the one concerning OneDrive, because when I activated this application, some two or three weeks ago, one of the first things it did was to get hold of Gimp, and, although I have disconnected it, I’m afraid my problem could be tied to that misappropriation, all the more after what you just said, that “it may not play nicely with open-source software.”
I have been inspecting over Properties\Safety\Permissions, and did a few necessary corrections in order to comply them with the installation folder, to no avail so far. As I installed Gimp “for myself only”, as “PC/Administrator”, I found out that System does not allow me to give me permissions as “PC/User”, although this may “read and execute”, which seems would suffice for Gimp to open and function properly.
At the end of each change I always restart the PC, to make sure.
The three constants of my problems are, so far: 1) OneDrive did take hold of GIMP (some two or three weeks ago), but I disconnected OneDrive, having emptied its folder before disconnection; and 2) GIMP 2.10.30 works perfectly in my Windows 7 laptop; and 3) I have tried also 2.10.28 and 2.10.24 on Win10, and they also won’t open; and 4) Issues · GNOME / GIMP · GitLab did not help at all.
Thank you again. The step I’ll take right away, following your suggestion, is “installing a portable version”, and see what happens.

I generally install apps for all users, since I am the only user on the system. For most apps, the setting only influences where they save config and temps files. Portables are great because everything is supposed to be in the same location. However, it depends on ability of the packager. Often packages aren’t very self-contained and, in Windows, registries may still be written. That said, chances are you will probably have a better experience with them.

In terms of OneDrive and Defender, I suggest you make an exception for the GIMP folder(s) before installation. That way, you can ensure that they won’t touch or modify your files.

I could not find a portable GIMP to download and install, then I stubbornly downloaded the regular 2.10.30 again, and again installation failed to open. And I removed it again. Sometimes I suspect it got entrapped ‘once upon a time’ inside Windows Defender, because of its Unknown Account S-1-15-3 I found in GIMP’s Properties a few times. But that’s alright, I’lll keep thinking and investigating and trying. Thank you again.

PortableApps.com currently has GIMP 2.10.30 in a portable version for download. They have been a reliable source for me in the past.

Thank you all very much. Today I finally installed a Portable GIMP 2.10.30; it opened and it’s workingvery fine.

1 Like