My GIMP is gone

All of a sudden I don’t have the Gimp anymore. I click on a .PNG and my system asks what software I want to use to open it.

I search and search, but the Gimp is gone, and when trying to install it, I get this message:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
gimp : Hängt ab von: libmypaint-1.3-0 (>= 1.3.0) soll aber nicht installiert werden
E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.

what am I up against?

Were you using the package manager version, PPA, snap, or flatpak?

PPA. I don’t know shit about flatpaks or snaps, and I haven’t heard anything positive about them

after a long session of uninstalling and purging à gogo, it all came down to

root@outpost# apt install gimp libmypaint-1.3-0 libmypaint-common

just in case …

1 Like

I was having app association problems yesterday, where all of a sudden the default app for a file type just disappeared. Still had the app installed, so not quite the same.

Ubuntu 19.04 no longer allows dragging an image file to a desktop shortcut to a program to open it in that program. Beginning to wish I’d clicked Cancel for the upgrade…

Strange that is missing as a dependency but it is. I upgraded from kubuntu 16.04 + flatpak to 18.04 + PPA 10 days ago, so a new installation and came across that. Check the mypaint brushes, they might not be there, that is a separate package.

Also, of course the gimp-python package which has been mentioned before. That is equally strange since Gimp contains python plugins, palette-sort & spyro_plus for example.