My personal darktable theme.

You could consider submitting it upstream so the devs can include it in the next major release or maybe even the next 3.8.x release.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on here but I do finally have this theme running correctly. Apologies to all for some still unknown gaff on my part.
And thank you again Franklin for your work.
Yes, nice idea to have this as a optional theme.

2 Likes

Maybe it was because I use the darktable-icons as base theme.

Users must select darktable-icons first and then copy the info of user.css and paste to the tweaks section.

@difrkaguilar: great work but you could simplify and reduce your theme file. Just remove all lines that are already in darktable.css file. For example, just probably all (or nearly all, I didn’t check exactly) “Reset GTK defaults” lines (after define-color ones) could be removed.

And your theme miss selected text color. when selecting lines on CSS text box, I can’t see which lines I have selected. As it’s set on darktable themes, you probably override that.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the advice. I’ll go to check the file with the Meld app to have a better idea of the lines to remove.

As always, many thanks to each and every darktable developer involved in the process of creating this software gem.

Great tools come with great responsibilities. :wink:

darktable is growing and improving with the inclusion of new tools and the improvement of others in each version.

For this version 4.2 I made some adjustments to my personal theme. But as I wrote in my first message of this post. This is a free personal version that I know does not follow the rules and guidelines advised by the developers to avoid visual mismatches in terms of contrasts, etc. to avoid the negative effects generated by optical illusions

I’ve left two screenshots of the appearance of the theme in this new version.

“No cornea was harm during the creation process of this theme”. :slight_smile:

Greetings from La Habana, Cuba.

version 0.2
user.zip (4.9 KB)

lighttable

darkroom

12 Likes

Thank you for keeping the theme up to date and sharing - I like it very much!

4 Likes

@difrkaguilar: I find the orange too dark, I like “yellow ochre” better: #f6c72b
It is of course a matter of personal taste :slight_smile: Awesome theme !

2 Likes

I changed mine to blue highlights. :slight_smile:

1 Like

… And I changed mine to yellow #ffff00
Much better for my eyes :slight_smile:

1 Like

the original orange color of the first theme was e08217
and I made some test with cyan too.

Screenshot-20221227211801-518x133

1 Like

@difrkaguilar

Thank you so much for sharing! I really like it!

My intention was to change the font-color or morely the header / module background of a (every) module for better visibility.

Can you help me getting the right naming for:

• font-color of module naming (header)
  • is it possible to change the header background?
  • if not maybe the / all module-backgrounds
  • and the thin line between them

I would be very happy if you could tell me something about it.

1 Like

I don’t think the individual elements are documented as such anywhere. In the css there are comments and those familiar will likely read it very easily but the best I could do was scan it and make some changes and see what the result was… the core stuff is defined in darktable.css and the rest are modifications…

You can enter any modifications in the preferences css window…

For example here are some I have to tweak the histogram

the css file in windows is in the program files directory see below…likely something similar for linux

2 Likes

Hi.

I’m glad you liked the theme.
As Todd said it is quite difficult to select by elements, they are not defined that way. The changes I made to the .css is more like trial and error.
There are some that are easier than others, like changing font families but there are others that can’t be changed.

By instance in my last version I changed to DIN-light some buttons of the UI and to Square721 BT the side panels and modules.

For my it looks better.

2 Likes

@priort @difrkaguilar

Very interesting, thank you both, i’m curious if I can find something there in the near future

1 Like

Hi all,

I have made an update to my personal darktable theme, some subtle changes to the colors with respect to the previous theme, the border radius of some buttons. The background color of the scopes (histogram, vectorscope and waveform) is no longer black, but a #141414 gray.

The most important change is that I replaced the previous font with the Inter font (OTF) because the readability it offers is excellent. I made this decision after seeing the typography as a fundamental part of the UI of Blender 4.0 that has just been released.

Here is the link to the typeface for those interested in using the theme. The typography is downloaded and installed in the locations determined according to the operating system.

Inter typography.

To install the theme, unzip the user.zip and copy/paste the content of the user.css file in the darktable configuration window (general tab).

My personal theme.
user.zip (4.9 KB)

Here is an example of how the typography behaves in terms of readability in both lighttable and darkroom.

lighttable.

darkroom.

Greetings from Havana, Cuba.

16 Likes

Thank you, @difrkaguilar!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Thanks for your time and effort. I’m going to give it a try. It looks like it will be a big help for these tired old eyes!

1 Like

Thank you very much.

The dark theme customized to my taste has given me rest to my eyes, a big thanks to the developers, who have created this excellent program, and who have provided a guide to follow regarding the predefined UI theme providing the necessary information about the risks of not working with the predefined theme, the negative effect in terms of optical illusion and still offer the ability to customize the UI even if you do not follow the guidelines.

Really for lack of the necessary knowledge in terms of programming and .css I can’t go further.

1 Like

Inter is a fantastic font, I always swap all my DE’s fonts for it, good choice.

2 Likes