My short Film OSTKAKTUS (+ Movie Poster)

Hey friends - I just read in a thread that filmmakers are warmly welcomed here so now I feel comfortable posting my short film here :slight_smile:

It was made only using free software - edited in Blender + Ardour, and I used GIMP and Krita for the titles, credits, lots of other stuff, including and the Movie poster:

I explained some things on my reddit posts and also posted some screenshots.

The film was already shown on two festivals for young filmmakers and was also awarded on both (see thumbnail).

The whole production was a wonderful process of exploration and a huge learning experience. I’m open for any kind of feedback and happy to answer any questions!

7 Likes

Correct would be we discuss if we want to extend the scope of the community or not. No decision yet.

1 Like

I know - if the community here thinks Film projects should not be allowed here, I can be okay with that. However, projects like Krita, GIMP or Magic Lantern have been part of the production - so I thought it would be okay to share.

4 Likes

Wow! This short-film is amazing. I wonder if the non-german-speaking members think the same :slight_smile:

I think the sound (for e.g. in the car) is not always optimal or is it intended that way?

Oh, well - there is a looot that is not always optimal :smiley: - the sound in the car is one issue. It used to be much worse though, I heavily relied on Ardour and Audacity to reduce all the noise and achieve some continuity.
We were a pretty small amateur crew - the Boom Ops were usually the actors themselves - so there were many issues with sound. The car scene’s audio comes from a Rode video Mic Go - a cheap on-camera mic. I didn’t bother to set up a better way to record the audio - what a mistake. I know people here are mostly concerned with photography, but if you make a Film, never ever forget the audio!

Even though the Film does not sound so great - I’m happy I could prevent it from sounding horrible by using all these amazing pieces of software <3

1 Like

I didn’t really care thanks to the compelling storytelling. Well done! :smile:

Thank you! In the end, that’s all what matters. You often get lost trying to make everything look good and professional, but at the end of the day you use cameras, lenses and software just to tell a good story - and that’s why we spent a lot time getting the story right :slight_smile:

2 Likes