Natron 2.3.14 crash, possible bug

Natron 2.3.14 crashes on running the second time.
That is, for some reason, I close natron and open it again, It starts normally, but as the splash disappears, Natron crashes.
I have to restart Windows to start Natron again.

System:
Windows 10 (latest update)
Intel i7-6700K
GTX1080Ti (latest drivers)

Completely uninstall Natron and then reinstall it.

Also try these snapshots and see if they help at

https://downloads.natron.fr/Windows/snapshots/RB-2.3/64bit/files/Natron-RB-2.3-201808081849-f1d5182-Windows-x86_64bit-no-installer.zip 2

https://downloads.natron.fr/Windows/snapshots/RB-2.3/64bit/files/Natron-RB-2.3-201808081849-f1d5182-Windows-x86_64bit-setup.exe

I did try reinstalling it completely (both versions) but that didn’t help.
I’ll try the snapshots.
(The issue is only with 2.3.14)

Experiencing the same issue with the snapshot.

Try to run Natron from command line with --no-cache and --no-settings flag to see if this is a preference or cache issue. If still crashes, see if it leaves some clues in terminal.

${YOUR_NATRON_BIN_FOLDER}/Natron.exe --no-cache --no-settings

1 Like

Ah, it works if I run it from cmd with those flags…
Can you explain what that does? Not familiar that much with command line…

Ooops… My bad. it should be --clear-cahce not --no-cache

–no-setting : Natron will restore default preference before it runs
–clear-cache : Natron will clear all cache before it runs

Maybe Natron just ignore wrong argument?
But, this is good, since cache was not clear, only preference had been restored to default. We now know it’s your preference issue. However, this flag, I believe, only temporarily restore preference, The problem is that on my Windows machine, I could not find where Natron store preference, nor can I save over default preference using --no-settings flag. For now, you can use --no-setting from terminal, or add to your shortcut, until you find a way to actually reset your preference.

Best,

1 Like

Yeah I could do that. But here’s the catch:
I’m not using the default color management. I’m using the Blender Filmic color management. And as you might’ve guessed, Natron requires to restart every time you change the color management presets.
So I’m basically stuck in an infinite loop xD

At least I know where the problem is coming from…
Thanks a lot!

Maybe @devernay knows the proper way to reset preference on Windows.
I am also interesting to know why Natron with --no-settings can not save over preferences.

Are preferences for different versions saved separately? Because as I mentioned earlier, 2.3.13 is working perfectly fine on my system.

That’s the thing. I could not even find where Natron store preference on windows machine. Otherwise, you would simply delete the preference file, and let Natron regenerate it.

1 Like

Well, I came up with this solution by using Natron Python. It’s pretty straight forward and it works on my machine.
Go to Your Terminal( the following basically run natron in interactive mode with python interface)

${YOUR_NATRON_BIN_FOLDER}/Natron.exe -t

Once it finished loading bunch of stuffs. you will see >>> waiting for your input, now you execute following line by line.

NatronEngine.natron.getSettings().restoreDefaultSettings()

NatronEngine.natron.getSettings().saveSettings()

exit()

Now, you should be able to open Natron normally with default preferences. Hope this works on your machine.

Best,

1 Like

That worked like a charm! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Okay so I’ve been working backwards restoring my previous preferences and after setting the second last preference (OFX plugins path) I’ve come to a conclusion that the last remaining preference, i.e. PyPlugs might be the problem. I don’t know what exactly the issue might be, because the same plugins are working in 2.3.13.

Posting here so anyone who discovers this thread knows how to solve this on Windows.

After running Natron. Right click on the non-console window and chose maximise That’s it.

It looks like it the first time Natron loads it runs the main window minimised. You only need to do the above once and it will load the full UI from there on out :smile:

1 Like

Oh no in this case it didn’t launch minimized, it totally crashed upon launch… i.e. there was no existence of a Natron instance at all.

In my particular case it was definitely just running minimised, as the console displayed no errors and would contine running until closed manually.

Hopefully this helps anyone who runs into the same issue.

This is with 2.3.15? Have you tried https://github.com/NatronGitHub/Natron/releases/tag/v2.3.16-beta1 or maybe https://sourceforge.net/projects/natron/files/Windows/64/snapshots

You get a splash screen and then the main window don’t show? Also note that 2.3.16+ now default to not show the console window anymore (enable/disable in settings), does that affect anything?

1 Like