Natron development status?

True that.

Isn’t every user facing open source project like that? I can bet most of Krita users do not even know what Linux is. Being a KDE project helps us to focus just on to writing good code. There are sysadmins, web masters, promo folks who take care of the other tasks. Even for things like GSoC/Season of KDE we have designated folks who manage that, :smile:.

And of course how can I not talk about our yearly sprints which are sponsored by KDE allowing us to meet in person and talk about our favorite software, :wink:

Most of our time on Natron is spent maintaining the build system, I don’t see how KDE can “fix” this. We still need to update, patch and test third-party dependencies for three platforms, this is a full time job.

Ahh, right, :upside_down_face:

Ok I am back after a long job year and covid stuff. I am looking at documentation again and am going to start with building the app local.

1. I am going to try from instructions to get a build env locally.
  2. Submit docs updates if there are any based on documentation.
  3. Then I want to build app from build scripts
  4. Update docs based on what I find there aslo.

I figure I will start here as I can get used to how the projects builds first.

5 Likes

Natron has an issue launching with AMDGPU-PRO driver.
AMDGPU-PRO seems to be broken on 20.04 for the past few months. It can be installed but it requires some dirty hacks.
When they fix the driver I’ll try compiling Natron against it and report the issues I find.

I’m not a developer so if anyone else with AMD GPU could take a look too, it would be of great help. If not, I’ll try it myself and see where it gets us.

Remember to build against the headers included with the driver, /opt/something.

2 Likes

Nice I see the Natron Devs have docker containers for building already was about to ask! Along this line then are the devs maintaining the local building AND docker building or just docker? Does anyone care? I want to vet all build processes that are available and expected to work hence the question.

The official builds are made with docker.
You can generate the docker images from Natron/tools/docker at RB-2.3 · NatronGitHub/Natron · GitHub - we currently have centos 6,7,8 and ubuntu 18.04,20.04 docker images.
I don’t see the difference between building in a docker image or using a local build: you can install all you need in the docker image, and compiling does not need any specialized hardware.

Thanks sir! I agree. Just wanted a little info. As a feet getting wet exercise I wanted to vet your build processes to for myself to get to know the project and see were I can help. This is while I read the docs and code. Thanks again for the answer I appreciate your time sir.

See Natron/README.md at RB-2.3 · NatronGitHub/Natron · GitHub