Natron UI (Re-)Design Proposal

If the design is adapted to Jekyll and it’s simple to maintain I see no reason not to merge it.

I like the current mockup :slight_smile:

1 Like

that’s really good I appreciate that

I understand that Natron developers have limited resources, but the main issue is that they are not good at making proper decisions on time. vfxplatform is now moving to QT6.5, and here, developers are still planning for QT5.

We do stuff when we feel like it or have the spare time. Don’t like it? Do it yourself :wink:

And? This has no effect on Natron.

Natron runs fine on Qt5, some minor UI fixes are needed (done, but not commited).

As usual:

There is no point in complaining about Natron, it won’t fix anything… it will usually make things worse.

6 Likes

according to the VFX Reference Platform’s own DCC compatibility list, all of them are on QT5.1x and currently show zero push for QT6.5 in the foreseeable future. That may change, but the chances of wide-scale QT6.5 adoption in 2024 are very less from today’s point of view. What will update significantly faster is Py; as it always has.

It’s been over 8 years since Natron was CY-compatible with the vfxplatform. Nobody cared then and nobody cares now.

Companies etc that want Natron in their pipeline (probably none) can build Natron to fit their needs (vfxplatform or whatever).

1 Like

Hey, in China rn so I can’t use discord :frowning: but I hope we can coordinate work on the website redesign from here. I’ve made a new render with associated .blend file that could possibly work for the CG compositing section:

If it’s suitable, I can send Hank the blender file via that Dropbox. I’m excited to (re)start work on the website!

Thanks, It would be nice to have new stuff for Natron !

@bonalex01 I’d highly appreciate it if you could contact Hank on the Natron server so he could come to the forum for us to collaborate, as discord doesn’t work for me rn

Use Issues · Shrinks99/NatronGitHub.github.io · GitHub (?)

1 Like

Unfortunately github is very slow in China :frowning:

New render, not very good at the moment but @Shrinks99 this would work for demonstrating depth in comp if you can tweak it:

Alternate view of the same render:

Yeah, that type of composition would be good.

My advice would be to try and grab some stuff from kitbash3d.com or a similar service and use that instead of trying to go at it fully from scratch. Will probably give you a better end result faster! :slight_smile:

Haha yes, would definitely agree! I just prefer doing it from scratch just in case we want to share demo files for Natron, as that makes the licensing easier.

I know Blender is big on sharing demo files, I would say for this don’t worry about it! Much more important that we show off good preview images :slight_smile:

Tears of Steel plates are in the open domain I think, so maybe a Natron composition using a frame from ToS would make for a decent demo file.

Are we still discussing the “new” website? It’s about time to either release it as-is or just cancel it, it’s been like 2/3 years now… :stuck_out_tongue:

I stopped caring (in general) last year :slight_smile:

@rodlie Sorry, college and personal life issues, but yes I will strive to keep working on it. In the meantime, this is a new mockup I made for Natron’s UI:

I anticipate that if I can crank out 2 renders a week then it should be done in 3 weeks, but by no means is this a hard deadline.

It’s nobody’s fault, nothing to feel sorry about :slight_smile:

Like I said last year (don’t remember), just remove/unpublish stuff that’s not done and get it out as-is. Or just cancel it and move resources to something else…