Natron won't use GPU even If it set to use GPU

the title explains it, I tried everything I can yet nothing works

Hi @Damien_Nagata, and welcome.

Have you tried the forum’s search facility?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Yes, that’s why I said “I tried everything I can yet nothing works” and FYI, no Intergrated Graphics Card

Natron only uses the GPU for the viewport and for a couple of nodes, everything else is CPU-only.

oh so that’s how It’s work, well crap I guess my CPU (i7) isn;t strong enough. 1 frame took 10 seconds as far as I can remember

i7 isnt strong enough? I had been using Natron on a 5th generation i7 at my workplace and on a 6th generation i7 (6700K) on my home system for more than 3 years. the CPU is not the be all and end all. Do you have adequate cooling? Does the CPU thermal throttle? What kind what amount of RAM do you have? 1 frame took 10 seconds for what: the final render or just for viewer playback? If for final render, that’s normal. If you have too many nodes, it may also happen in the viewer but I’ve rarely experienced it even in projects exceeding 100 nodes.
It is good practice to use diskcaches ever now and then, even if you have a beefy system. It’s not about performance but rather stability. If there’s a group of nodes that you feel you’re done with, then you can just cache them to avoid having to rerender them when you modify something down the line.

Depends on what you do. I used to use Natron for motion graphics (not recommened), no CPU was good enough(i7/i9/threadripper), it would crawl no matter what (everything raster and no GPU support is a bad combo). I switched to a better suited application and now do the same thing on a dual core ultrabook from 2017ish.

1 Like

I agree, for motion graphics stuff, etc with many keyframes Natron becomes really slow. Although I have not experienced Natron becoming too slow in most of my composite shots… Many shots I work on average at 100 nodes. With good diskcaching, proxy and optimization practice, I’ve never really had an issue where a single frame would take 10 seconds to view. For the final render, yes that time sounds reasonable, but for viewport it sounds a bit sketchy. Maybe it is one of the pyplug nodes, or a node with some property set too extreme. I have not got to use a threadripper yet, but I have to ask: Do you remember if Natron actually used all of the available cores/threads? Some DCCs have an issue with TRs and don’t use up all available cores.