Neat Mr. Robot Framing

Not sure if there are any fans of the show Mr. Robot, but I recently started watching it from the beginning with my wife.

For some context, the main character is one of the least reliable narrators in a TV show. Drugs, paranoia, psychological issues and a very subjective experience all lead to a very suspect narrative.

We were getting towards the end of the premiere episode when we get an interior shot of the company that the protagonist works for, “All Safe”, when I notice that the shot is framed like so:

For non programmers, I read that back wall as not safe! which apparently includes me, it’s an “OR”. :sleeping:

Fitting for the level of paranoia in the show…

1 Like

Yes that show is awesome!

I’m a programmer, but where do you get the not from?

Yep, I brain farted last night. I blame a late night and Mardi Gras…

Of course it’s an “OR”. :wink:

Ah. Then I do understand.

But “Or safe” isn’t an obvious slogan.

1 Like

I haven’t watched the whole thing yet. But in a moment Angela (the blonde and friend of the protagonist) will be in front of the pillar, which I guess could make it read as

= Angela || safe'? :slight_smile:

1 Like

What immediately jostled me was the framing used in the show, very unusual - they often put the subject along the bottom of the frame, just a small head and neck popping up somewhere, leaving the majority of the frame showing context.

1 Like

IMO the show’s a mixbag, there are some truly remarkable moments, sequences, even whole episodes and there are very confused, plagued with holes swamps. Liked better the 1st season, I agree cinematography is refreshingly different, not new by any measure but different. I ADORE the intros, the geeky stuff, the lonely FBI agent and the music selection and how it is mixed and creates parallel narratives.
Personally I understand that there must be building around the characters and side tracks and dead alleys but I’m a bit disappointed how the message, the critique if you will it’s getting muddier… we’ll see.

Enjoy @patdavid =)

1 Like

Another striking shot frame:

Not just short framing, but the actor is speaking offscreen on the same side. Lovely. :slight_smile: