Need an idiot-proof guide to uploading ICC profiles to darktable

Hi, I want to test which soft-proofing works best for me out of GIMP, Rawtherapee, Darktable, Irfanview and Nx-D!

DT is the only one where ICC profiles don’t just appear as if by magic! I know I’m supposed to load them to a config file but have no idea where to find it. And worry about blwoing up my PC if I dig in the wrong place…

Could someone very very kindly explain how to go about it, in words of no more than one syllable? Thanks, sorry to be so thick.

You have to put the ICC files into darktable’s config folder, on Linux it is:
/home/username/.config/darktable/color/in/

Forgot to say, I’m on Windows 10. OK, this will show how very stoopid I am:

Where do I find my username? Where do I type that line? In the search box at the bottom of the page? And then I think I know where to find the profiles, do i copy and paste them one by one? Or do I have to expand them somehow and paste the whole thing?

Windows config path is mentioned on this page:

Note: Not quite idiot proof. I did not have a /color/out folder on my linux install. Created the folders and loaded the icc profiles I needed into it, and they show up and work.

Not sure why color/in was indicated here: “You have to put the ICC files into darktable’s config folder, on Linux it is:
`/home/username/.config/darktable/color/in/”

Manual says color/out

Thanks for the hint, I tried placing my ICC files into /in and /out. Looks like those folders are for input and output profiles, depending on what the profile is for (camera profiling or printing for example).