Need for a FOSS static website builder

Hi Everyone.
I am looking for a FOSS static website builder using html and php.
I just want to put some pictures up and make a few simple statements. Very simple and clean.
I can access my server via ftp but I have no access to the command line or something like that.
Please recommend the most simple solution that looks decent.
Thanks.

Hello,

I propose the Publii project https://getpublii.com/
Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

5 Likes

Great. Works perfectly once I had figured out how to use set up the ftp such that the data is stored in the right location.
Many thanks.

1 Like

we are using hugo for pretty much everything now.

librearts, digikam, siril. all hugo. the stuff that isnt hugo yet we will port

and when ever someone ask @patdavid and @paperdigits what to use … the answer is also hugo.

so:

Use hugo

4 Likes

I’m only tangentially familiar with Jekyll from using GitHub Pages.

How’s Hugo compare?

it is like jekyll but fast

2 Likes

It looked to me as if I needed command line access (to install the needful stuff) which I do not have.

build locally. upload to any server you want.

not to mention with gitlab/github/cloudflare pages you get building and hosting in one.

1 Like

Hmm. Sounds good …

Yep. That’s the set up I use.

eleventy is popular, no php but you can use all kinds of templates

I concur. Have been using it for a few years, just a joy to use!

if you want to see my first idea (using publii, I wasnt able to quickly and fully understand hugos structure):

I need help with the author description. <p?> xxx <p?> keeps showing.

I like Zola, but static site generators are really common thanks to jamstack, so I’m sure you can find something that fits your preferences.

For those looking for a simple PHP static site generator without relying on a big framework and which deploys to GitHub Pages by default with an integrated pipeline, you can give a try to my SSG: GitHub - atas/ssg: Simple PHP Static Site Generator for GitHub Pages
Hope it becomes helpful.

3 Likes

Hi, @ata, and welcome to the forum!

Very nice. Already stared the project page and now following you on GitHub. :blush:

1 Like

Jumping in here.

I want to create a one page site for posting on a subdomain for a personal project of posting some images and text in between. The desire is for the thing to just scroll down like it’s a long page.

I’m COMPLETELY markdown/html/css ignorant. Seriously.

I’ve played with getpublii and it’s way more than I need. The free templates are way more complex than I need and looking at the backend stuff, there isn’t a prayer in the world of me getting that tweaked to suite my purposes.

I’ve looked at the other options suggested here, which are text driven. Again this is a huge impediment as indicated I’m simply not knowledgeable.

Any suggestions on a WYSIWYG tool to do this? FOSS of course… :wink:

Thank you!

Bluefin

1 Like

?

Bluefish perhaps?

Yes, sorry.