Need help exporting TIFF to Capture NX2

Would you say this tiff incompatibility is a bug in RT? Should it be reported?

@geldo could you try all four of these images and reply which ones open in NX2 and which ones don’t?
https://filebin.net/ml2i83ekfqdfht1g

Would be great if you or someone could also try PS.

@Morgan_Hardwood None of them open in NX2, but they are ok for Lightroom 4.3

@Morgan_Hardwood I’ve found this:

Could it be the alpha channel?

Capture NX was first released in July 2006. Capture NX 2 was released in June 2008. (…)
In July 2014 Nikon has released a new software Capture NX-D and desupported Capture NX 2.

NX2 is a totally different beast than NX-D…

… and they won’t open in NX-D also :slight_smile:

RT does not support alpha channel.

So what else could be the difference between say RT and Gimp tiffs? NX opens the latters

@geldo could you save blue_horse_8_uncompressed.tif in GIMP (uncompressed 8-bit), verify that NX-D opens it, and upload it into the same filebin I used above for me please?

Done. Both NX2 and NX-D open it.

Differences between the two images:

• Endianness, RT=MSB, GIMP=LSB
  • rows-per-strip, RT=8, GIMP=128
  • GIMP version has Subfile Type: (0 = 0x0), Sample Format: unsigned integer
  • tiffinfo -D shows that both have a UserComment, but the hex contents of it vary between the two.
  • identify -verbose shows that the GIMP version has an empty comment field while the RT version does not show a comment field.

If anyone wants to help, re-save this image using other software and upload it for @geldo to try, maybe we can find which differing element is the culprit: https://filebin.net/ml2i83ekfqdfht1g/blue_horse_8_uncompressed.tif
Having found the culprit, we’d have to decide whether we really want to change it. I see no signs of the TIFF file being corrupt or wrong, looks more like a Capture NX* problem - i.e. report it to Nikon.

One bottle of Talisker 10 years old that Endianess is the culprit. Anybody willing to play?

Ingo

1 Like

No, but I’ll help you drink the winnings! (I’ll even bring the baguettes, fromage, and sausage this time). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I converted blue_horse_8_uncompressed.tif to “intel” byte order and now it opens in NX2 (or NX-D if you prefer). I can upload it in your folder if you like, let me know. I used Image Converter Plus, just to make a test, I am not buying it.

So that was a winning bet… but who’ll bring the bottle? Also, rather than a problem of RT or NX, I am quite sure this is a problem of mine :slight_smile:

Thank you all!

Even with Tiff’s for example made in Affinity, there is a problem opening them in Nikon Software (View NXI and Capture NXD here). So I subscribe this is a Nikon-problem.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to share my RawTherapee / Capture NX2 experience with you.

I ended up needing to use RT to convert my Panasonic GH4 RW2 files to TIFF. I also shoot Nikon and quite like the editing capabilities of NX2.

After installing RT I converted an RW2 into a TIFF and opened it with no issues in NX2. This has been the majority of my experience with RT/NX2. However, there was one occasion where NX2 errored with the message explained above. I closed NX2 and reopened it and re-exported the same file from RT, no issue.

I’ve since installed RT onto another machine with NX2 on it and it too has had no issues.

My workflow has varied from a straight export to a little post processing in RT before export. 8bit/16bit TIFFs are no issues for opening in NX2. One issue that I can think of might contribute to an error would be the colour profile in camera? These days I use sRGB just for continuity of colour profiles.

I highly doubt sRGB is causing you issues.

I wonder, do the bad and the good versions of the file have the same hash?

CNX2 will not open TIFFs that have an alpha-channel. Make sure you don’t have one before exporting to CNX2.
Let me know if you have issues.