Need help exporting TIFF to Capture NX2

Hi there! I am having some trouble exporting to Nikon’s Capture, I only get a message “can’t open the tiff file”, Where am I wrong? Thanks!

RT 4.2.1375
WIN 10
Capture NX2 2.4.7

Can you open the tiff in any other program? Does capture nx have specific requirements for tiffs? If so, what are those requirements?

Yes, both Gimp and Windows Photo Viewer can open the file… and I don’t know of specific requirements, not in the manual anywhere…

Can you try exporting an 8 bit tiff or a jpeg and see if that works?

No tiff whatever. It seems to work only with a jpeg.

Hello, Nikon software doesn’t seem to like Tiffs at all. Nikon View NXl and Capture NXD, which are both newer pieces of software, don’t read Tiff neither. So I’m afraid you have to choose other software for your purpose.
If there is anybody who has a solution, I’d like to hear too…

Well, Capture NX2 doesn’t have any problem with tiff’s (sort of :slight_smile:)… the same file exported from RT as .tif, then opened in Gimp and re-exported as .tif can be opened in Capture… :confused:

Did you export 8bit or 16bit, compressed or uncompressed tiff?

I tried and it’s just the same, Capture won’t read any of them.

Not sure if its a typo, but maybe try changing the file extension to .tif?

It is already .tif :slight_smile:

What exactly is this software doing for you that RT or Gimp cannot?

Well, RT lacks local adjustments and Gimp can’t handle 16bit… for now :slight_smile:. Also, I know Capture very well.

You should try the gimp 2.9 builds, I assume you’re on windows you can get one from Partha I think. It handles up to 32 bits.

I really don’t need 32 bits, I’d say it would be nice to have 12/14. Anyway I’ve tried to get the 2.9 for Windows, I was interested but couldn’t find it yet.

The GIMP 2.9 Windows binary download absolutely sucks, it’s as if the intention was that nobody finds it. Once someone finds their way to the official-but-unofficial download page Gimp - Nightly Builds - Dark Refraction they find the folder empty…

@patdavid could that be improved? Can we help?

1 Like

http://partha.com in the Downloads sidebar, there it is!

That was exactly my thought

Thanks! I will try.

I know that darkrefraction had been down sporadically (not sure if it’s related to build errors or infrastructure problems). I’m looking into it now.

So I downloaded Gimp 2.9.5 (@paperdigits Thanks!), now I can export from RT as tiff 16 bits, open it in Gimp, export it from Gimp as tiff 16 bits, open it in Capture NX2. It’s not so straightforward, but at least I can mantain a 16 bits workflow.
Of course in time I will learn Gimp (I am still learning RT :slight_smile:). What I particularly like in RT is the ability to start from scratch (neutral profile), what I miss is the ability to display only the pixels of part of the hystogram.