Need help for GMI'C 2.9.1 on GIMP 2.10.20 on Kubuntu 18.04 - Some filters stop working

Prehistoric! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to bother you, but you have to see this:

I am now testing other filters with large files.

1 Like

Yes, there is something wrong.

So you mean your bug disappear when the light theme (default) is selected, but not with the dark theme ? O_o

Then I re-downloaded GIMP 2.10.20 (with plugins) AppImage from @Carmelo_DrRaw:
started GIMP and GMIC and then GMI’C-Qt for GIMP 2.8 ver. 2.1.3 appeared!

You have an old gmic version installed somewhere and taking precedence. The Gmic that comes with 2.10.20 is 2.9.0

Might be a hardware problem. This using an average laptop, 4 core Intel / 8 GB memory / kubuntu 18.04 / Gimp 2.10.20 appimage + gmic_gimp_qt pre-2.9.3

That ‘no preview’ does not mean that interactive extract does not work. Bumped your wolf screenshot up to 7000x4000 pix and works ok. 60 second video example. https://i.imgur.com/IU5Ss08.mp4 with middle cut-out.

Dream smoothing is another matter, it is slow at the best of times. There could well be a image size limitation. Bumped an image up to 9000x6000-ish CPU maxed out, running hot, stopped it after 15 minutes. It did not crash, might have finished sometime. A smaller 6000x4400 image did complete in 8 minutes. 30 second video https://i.imgur.com/jpwbWGk.mp4 with lots cut-out

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s something wrong with the dark theme. :thinking:

I have tried other filters now with large files and they work too.

1 Like

This is strange. How can I find out where this ancient version is located? When I look in synaptic, there is only 2.9.1 visible.

Since I switched to the default theme on GMI’C, everything works again. Darker theme caused the problems, for whatever reason.

By the way, thanks for your responses! :+1:

Could it be that the progress bar is not visible in the plug-in window when using the dark theme, while it’s visible with the light theme ?
Did you wait enough for the filter to process, when using the dark theme ?
I’m trying to understand… That’s one of the weirdest bug I’ve encountered :slight_smile:

No. Both are the same when Interactive windows are active. Progressbar is visible and active for both:

dark theme

standard theme

but after pressing ENTER to close the interactive window, there are differences:

dark theme:

standard theme:

If you use other filters with darker themes, the progress bar will move (left and right) for a while and then just stop. You can still see it but there is no more activity. And “apply” and “OK” buttons remain grayed out. I notice that the filter doesn’t work anymore because my fan is getting quiet.

Yes, up to one hour.

1 Like