Need help for GMI'C 2.9.1 on GIMP 2.10.20 on Kubuntu 18.04 - Some filters stop working

When I use GMI’C some filters simply stop working without crashing or reporting an error. GMI’C can also be terminated normally by clicking on “Cancel”. Here is the demonstration:

My OS is Kubuntu 18.04 and I have GIMP 2.10.20 and GMI’C 2.9.1 twice: once from the ppa source:

and as appimage:

GIMP works flawlessly and so do most of the filters in GMI’C, except for some that have the problems described above.

What can I do to find out what the problem is?

Hello Boris, that is indeed unexpected.
Doing the same steps as in your video works here (I’m using G’MIC 2.9.3_pre).

What if you click ‘OK’ instead of ‘Apply’ ?

I have no explanations right now. Maybe it could be interesting to see if other people get the same weird behavior.

Thanks for feedback David!

Same result. Filter stops working.

Yes, I will be interested in that too. Where does gimp-gmic save its logs? Maybe one can see something there.

Ha yes, having the logs could help, indeed.
To activate the logs, go to Settings -> Others -> Output messages -> Debug (log file).
Then apply your filter, and just when it returns (with no effect), save the file $HOME/.config/gmic/gmic_qt_log and copy-paste it somewhere, so we can look at it !

Thanks!

Here is log file. It’s quite big. that’s why I put it on google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YlBZhMSdPRaqEKpjQvyEN5uxmI8i-Vje/view?usp=sharing

Ah, that’s big indeed. You probably used it in the past ?
The log file could be deleted without problems before you do the test :slight_smile:
Anyway, I’m downloading it, I’ll have a look this afternoon. Thanks!

Strange.I did this before I started GMI’C. This is a newly created log file!

I forgot to say that the old log I deleted before following your instruction was over 800Mb!

OK, after looking at the log, I can understand why the log file is so big. That’s because the filter is interactive, and during the interaction, it constantly output the things it does in the log file. As it is a real-time interaction, the log file grows very quickly.

About the filter behavior : I didn’t noticed anything wrong with the filter. It does indeed compute the segmentation, and returns correctly. It just seems that the result is not transferred back to GIMP.
I don’t know why. Could it be that the plug-in API of GIMP has slightly changed in the very last versions ? Maybe something happened in the GIMP plug-in API between GIMP 2.10.18 and GIMP 2.10.20 ?
I’m personally running GIMP 2.10.18 on Ubuntu Focal, and everything works as expected.

It would be interesting to know on what kind of filters this weird behavior occurs. In your case, the filter takes one layer as input and replace them by two layers.
What happens with filters that takes one input layer and produces only one output layer (in-place operation) ?

At this point, I really suspect some (undocumented) changes in the GIMP plug-in API, which prevent G’MIC to transfer its output images back to GIMP.

I have a similar setup although Gimp 2.10.14 from the otto… PPA and a 2.10.20 appimage, both in kubuntu 18.04 (bionic)

Because of the old QT libraries in bionic I compile my own gmic_gimp_qt plugin

Just compiled yesterday, pre-2.9.3 gmic_gimp_qt-293.zip - pCloud

Unzip, put in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ (remove any old version) and also ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/ It should supercede the existing built-in plugin. Remember to update the filters (now 545) That works for me.

@Carmelo_DrRaw
Slightly different topic but might be linked. Question came up on g-f.net yesterday about lots of error messages with latest Gimp 2.10.21 appimage + gmic_gimp_qt. Fixed it, but you might want to update your version of gmic_gimp_qt Gory details here: Gimp + Gmic + AppImages

I am just testing, but already I can say that I noticed this behaviour when filter has to calculate for a long time.
My guess was that it might have something to do with allocated memory.

I just tested “dream smoothing” with 2 different photos:

One that was 8288 × 5520 in size. After about 2 min filter just stopped working without error message or crashes, similar to the above video.

On the photo with the wolf (1920 × 1280) filter finished the task and transferred the result to the GIMP as a new layer without any problems.

The settings for the filter were the same. Output mode was “New layer”

The same result as in the video above

It works here with GMIC 2.8.1 and GIMP 2.10.20 (Windows 10).
Update: It works with GMIC 2.9.2 too.

That’s interesting indeed. But I don’t see any memory allocation problems reported by G’MIC in the log file. That’s a mystery!

Yes, that is very interesting. I have duplicated the photo with the wolf and scaled duplicate to 7000 × 4667 pixels.

Then I tried different filters with original and enlarged duplicate. I tried some filters in “artistic” subornders that take longer to calculate, like “brushify”, “chalk it up” and “dream smothing” and “stylize”.

On the larger duplicate all filters stopped working at some point and on the small file there were no problems.
Here is the result of “brushify”:

Big file (7000 × 4667):

Filter stops there.

Original (smaller 1920 × 1280) file:

I’ve tried running the Extract Foreground filter on a 7000\times 4667 image, I have 4Go on my laptop. It works…

Still no idea… I’ll try with a bigger image, just to be sure I run out of memory :slight_smile:

EDIT: Tried with a 10000\times 6667 image, and the plug-in crashes, but at least I get an error dialog showing up:

Thanks @rich2005

Plugin works but the problem remains unfortunately:

How much memory do you have when running G’MIC-Qt ?

A lot:

That’s interesting. Then, it is not related to a shortage of memory.
I see no reasons then why it couldn’t work with large images…
Really strange, and I’m out of ideas right now :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your effort!

What I just noticed:

I deleted everything in the .config folder that had to do with GMIC, including the folder with GIMP’s Appimage. Then I re-downloaded GIMP 2.10.20 (with plugins) AppImage from @Carmelo_DrRaw:

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases/download/continuous/GIMP_AppImage-release-2.10.20-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage

started GIMP and GMIC and then GMI’C-Qt for GIMP 2.8 ver. 2.1.3 appeared!

If I use “Extract Foreground” filter with this GMIC version and then press ENTER key to confirm interactive window, window disappears and GMIC continues to work (you can see it on the indicator below). But even after 10 minutes nothing happens.

Very strange.