.nef files are converted into an unreadable format

I downloaded my pictures using rapid photo downloader and I changed the file name. Have done this many times before never had an issue. This time i must have done something wrong because all my .nef files are converted to something that is completely unreadable by anything. I have tried darktable, raw therapee, lightroom, gimp, and photoshop. In gimp they show up as very small thumbnails which are extremely pixelated. The worst thing is i moved the files instead of copying them so these are my only copies right now. I just feel like a complete idiot right now. I was wondering if there is ANY way to recover these files.Thank you all in advance.

Have you:

1. Opened a terminal and done file <filename>
  2. Changed the file extension back to .nef

Can you post one of the files?

2 Likes

Thanks man. That solved the issue! Haha. I feel pretty dumb that it was such a simple fix. I renamed all the files to .nef and it did the trick. I just freaked out because it was pictures for a client. Thank you again for the help. Hopefully this can help someone in the future.

1 Like

You’re welcome; we all make mistakes! Please pay it forward :slight_smile:

1 Like

@patdavid I re-ping my pong in your direction: could we have a Software sub-category for every program whose developers frequent these forums so that the general Software category is not trashed with program-specific bug reports and user support? In this case, RPD.

1 Like

A good argument could be made it’s not your fault. Probably I should never have written Rapid Photo Downloader such that renaming files without a file extension was possible. It’s not possible in the latest code:

1 Like

I’ll get RPD added shortly. I suppose we should also bump @damonlynch to a mod? :wink:

You’re welcome; we all make mistakes! Please pay it forward :slight_smile:

I will definitely try my best. This is honestly a great community! And I love being a part of it.

A good argument could be made it’s not your fault. Probably I should never have written Rapid Photo Downloader such that renaming files without a file extension was possible. It’s not possible in the latest code:

Thanks for trying to make me feel better. Yeah I changed it to file name and I did not notice the extension was not in the file name. I just assumed the extension would be retained. To my surprise it was not. I really like Rapid photo downloader. It makes renaming files a breeze. Love incorporating it in my workflow. Makes it much easier to organize my photos. But if this can be fixed that would make it even better. Because I am probably not the only one that has run into this. The solution was easy enough I used Thunar to add the extension and I was good to go after I collected myself…haha

Thank you all again for the help!!!

1 Like