.NEF image turns completely black when opened in Raw Therapee

Hi,

First time user of Raw Therapee;

When I open a raw file (.nef), it turns completely black (see screenshot below). This version is saved as a .pp3 file. Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this and what I can do to fix it? I did a bunch of googling but couldn’t find anything regarding this specific problem.

The thumbnail in Raw Therapee showed the image until I opened it. Then it went black and now that is all it shows. The image still comes up fine when looking at or open the image via the File Explorer.

I am at a total loss

Welcome…post your raw…something is up… just upload it using the upload button in the post reply dialogue

1 Like

It’s huge, sorry :grimacing:
Z9A_1405.NEF (33.8 MB)

Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 10.03.43 PM

With the metadata-exiv2 branch I can read that you are on a newer model camera that might not yet be recognized by the software.

1 Like

Hi @J_Peach
I can confirm your file has the same behavior on my machine - I’m still running a 5.9 release candidate version of RT but same result - odd.
I then tried in darktable and this error message - yet the thumbnail still shows fine.
Maybe that Nikon is too new? I’ve forgotten where the list of supported cameras is - will try and find it.

1 Like

You beat me to it - BTW I see that metadata in 5.9 too.

1 Like

Is this file from the Nikon Z9 with their new high efficiency encoding? None of the Foss software supports that format yet, since its all under patent.

2 Likes

Thanks all. It’s not my camera but it could be a new fancy one as the friend who owns it is a professional photographer. Any suggestions on how I can get around this issue?

1 Like

Yes, it is quite a new camera. I believe it is supported, at least in darktable, but not when shot in the high efficiency RAW mode, which this shot is I think.
A workaround that I can confirm works is to convert the file to DNG using Adobe’s free DNG Converter - darktable and RawTherapee then work fine with the DNG file.
Not ideal if you’re doing it everyday perhaps, but fine for odd jobs. I don’t think any quality is lost in the DNG conversion.
Edit: This only works on Win and Mac… but I think you’re on Win so should be fine.

2 Likes

Great, thank you! I’ll give that a go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi J_Peach,

I am having the exact same problem as you with my NEF images from my Nikon Z8. Did you manage to find a fix for it, and if so, please can you share it with me?

Nikon High-efficiency and high-efficiency* encoded Z9 .NEF RAW files won’t decode.
Try turning off the high-efficiency*/high-efficiency.