NEFs "has unknown format"

3.0.2 installed from debian testing or unstable

Thanks

maybe @heckflosse was right that I damaged the files long time ago with Nikon software…

I just don’t understand how they still works in rawTherapee if they are broken…

Any chance to upload a NEF to this site, for others to try?

grafik

2013-02-16@17-15-0802.nef (11.8 MB)

Thanks for the hint, no need to say I’m a beginner uploader on this site :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Soren, nef files, or raws in general, are never modified by raw software. Perhaps Nikon software did that (as Ingo suggested), can’t comment on that.
Because Rawtherapee reads them fine, I guess the problem resides with Darktable. I own a predecessor of your d3100, the d40, and those nefs never pose problems in whatever software.

Maybe the corruption is related to the situation described in this thread.

but if they are “corrupted” why would they work fine in rawTherapee?

no, that’s why I think it is a Darkroom problem, but I don’t know if it is just my 3.0.1 version of Darktable or all versions?

If anyone have time to download the NEF it would be a great help…

Thanks in advance

Soren - doesn’t open in my v3.0.0 on Windows. I get a preview but it complains about unknown format.

1 Like

Does this utility help?

For what it’s worth, my v3.0.0 has no problem opening example NEF’s downloaded as examples…

RawTherapee and Darktable uses 2 different raw file reading libraries. That’s the difference.
A file being supported in one of the software does not imply it’s supported in the other one, but it could since there is another open-source implementation.

(If you still have the D3100) what happens if you take new photos with it and try to import them into darktable?

The d3100 was my backup camera, and I sold it 5 years ago, but now I’m left with 32GB of imagenes…

But than for the tip :slight_smile:

Yes at least I can always process my 32GB of D3100 NEFs in rawTherapee, but I’d have to make a new workflow and in my experience Darktable has better watermark support, so…

But would it be wrong to conclude that it is not my NEFs that are broken, but Darktable?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

SO it is NOT my NEFs that are corrupted…

Cant express what a joy that is…

IT must be a v3.0.1 or a Linux version problem, I guess…

Any one tried it on Linux?

Thanks for the tip, but @grsnovi managed to open my example file without any problems, so guess it not a file problem :slight_smile:

Sorry, i must have misunderstood

I thought you managed to open MY example NEF…

Please disregard all my comments about it being unbroken…

I tried to download the NEF in the thread, and it didn’t even open in rawTherapee as my NEFs do…

I tried opening your file 2013-02-16@17-15-0802.nef in darktable 2.6.2 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. A thumbnail showed up fine in lighttable, but when I tried to open it in darkroom, I got this message:

failed to read camera white balance information from '2013-02-16@17-15-0802.nef'!

and the photo does not open. I’d suggest having a look at the thread that @Thomas_Do linked.

1 Like