Negative Shadows/Highlights in RawTherapee

Hi All,
I am just starting to use RawTherapee, and I have been trying to set negative values to the Shadows and Highlights, but I cannot do it. I know this is possible in Photoshop and Gimp to get dark regions darker and light regions lighter. How can I do this in RawTherapee?

Thank you very much.

@gmp Welcome to the forum!

This tool is meant to push up the shadows and pull down the highlights: Shadows/Highlights - RawPedia. (A more effective tool for that is Dynamic Range Compression.) For info on other tools see: RawPedia.

1 Like

Maybe the parametric tone curve or the LH curve in the Lab module?

1 Like

The ‘black’ slider from exposure can darken the shadows.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Exposure#Black

2 Likes

Well, thank you very much for your replies. I wasn’t missing that feature then. I guess I need work a bit more “under the hood” then in the easy approaches provided by GIMP and Photoshop. Thanks!

1 Like

In case someone in the future is interested, I found out how to do it. Using @betazoid suggestion to check the tone curves, I realised that when I selected the tone curve to be parametric, the options: “Shadows”, “Darks”, “Lights”, and “Highlights” show up below the tone curve plot, and allow the setting of positive and negative values!

Thank you!

Yes, I told you! You are welcome! (I am just a bit sorry that you needed 2 days to find it out even though I posted screenshots.)

1 Like

I feel so dumb now… :smiley:

Please please don’t. I didn’t mean it like that. In fact I am the insensitive idiot. Sorry.

:)) I was just joking because the answer was so obvious and I couldn’t see it! No need to feel bad! It was really funny. I am laughing :smiley: :smiley: No idiots here!

1 Like

I would like to point out that the shadows/highlights tool works somewhat differently than the black slider and tone curves from exposure. The Shadows/ Highlights tool is designed to lift the shadows and pull the highlights in a specific way, by preserving the details yet reducing global contrast, by detecting edges and brightning/darkening whole tonal regions as a group. This differs to the other tools suggested, in that the exposure module blacks and tone curves do not make distinctions between global and local contrast, darkening, brightening on a context agnostic per pixel basis.

In simpler terms, the blacks and curves acts on individual pixels, and the shadows/ highlights tool operates based on how bright an area of a photo is overall (is it bright area, or is it deep in the shadows, or is it neither?) Hence the name shadows/ highlights.

Excuse me if I don’t get this right, but isn’t the shadow/highlight feature, in a very simplistic way, a slider that changes the shape of the tone curve, although automatically", and therefore, acting on the whole image pixels solely based on their value? By this I mean, it makes no distinction between edges of regions, such as tools using gradients to detect changes in image regions.

@gmp the Shadows/Highlights tool does not work like a curve, it does some more advanced things. See:
Shadows / highlights tool - #9 by agriggio
Test the new and enhanced Shadows/Highlights tool