Neuschwanstein WB challenge

Well, that’s partly true.

I knew I was going to downscale the image so that the image in the server wouldn’t be so big, thus I decided to make the wavelets processing a bit more harder than usual. That way, after downscaling everything would be as it should.

The final image will be close (close, although not exactly the same) to what you see when looking at the image at 50% size in the preview area, but without the final sharpening: if you want to see a closer (but not yet the very same) preview in RT, then you will need to copy the Post-Resize Sharpening settings into the Sharpening tool. But don’t forget to set Sharpening off before exporting!!!

Moreover, if you want a final image without downscaling the raw resolution, then you will need to keep the Sharpening tool on, turn off the Resize tool, and tweak the wavelet levels settings to a more reasonable levels.

It all depends on what you expect to get in the end. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t call this perfect:

2 Likes

Ouch! :rofl:
So let me say “when cropped to the nominal size of 4896 x 3264 distortion correction is perfect”
In this case cropping 6 pixels from upper and lower border would remove this.

1 Like

Which should be done by Iridient, not by RT…

2 Likes

True! I promise, my next PlayRaw contribution will be a real RAW file.

And I want to thank everyone who worked with this photo.
Basically there were two directions:
Natural colours: the castle is gray, the roof is dark gray and sunset was far away. Here I like age’s second edit the most :+1:
Warm colours: simply looks more pleasing to the eyes (my eyes). Here I like danny’s edit most :+1:
In this photo it is really hard to remove the blue tint, especially over the trees behind the castle.

4 Likes

Thanks Aurelien Pierre for color balance pickers which do remove color casts automaticaly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s my go.

Goals:

1. Use new darktable 3.0 modules
  2. Fix color cast
  3. Preserve highlights
  4. Keep top-right roof red
  5. Remove blue hue
  6. Reduce vignetting
  7. Boost contrast
  8. Warm the castle (a little)

DSCF3855_Iri.dng.xmp (12.5 KB)

It would’ve probably been better with the original raw file. At least on my Fuji X-T2, when I have the raw in darktable, the improved profiled noise reduction is amazing and lens correction is very good. (It’s then possible to choose the type of demosaicing too, which can further improve color or details, depending on the picture.)

7 Likes

Thank you Garrett, this one is really good!

1 Like

Beginning to tire of the technical talk and arguing on the forum. Let’s have some fun. :partying_face:

RawTherapee neutral.
gmic colour balance (test), contrast (FFT), brighten (curves), sharpen (FFT), crop, local contrast (guided), contrast (FFT), resize.

Zoom and enjoy!

3 Likes

This is my try with RT 5.7
I’ve tried to recover this relatively low and warm afternoon light. Colors were done by the Auto setting. Sharpening was done without the Haze Removal tool - too much shifted into the blue. More details in the pp3 file.

DSCF3855_Iri…jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

1 Like

DSCF3855_Iri_RT-8-George

1 Like

I made a go at this using the recent techniques (https://discuss.pixls.us/t/editing-moments-with-darktable/), and also with a goal of not having underexposed, out-of-gamut areas. I tried to eliminate the overexposed areas, particularly the roof, but could not do it without causing problems. Comment, suggestions welcome.

DSCF3855_Iri.dng.xmp (30.1 KB)

2 Likes

My attempt with DT3. I’m practising with the color balance module. It really is super powerful! But why do the sliders in the shadows group have too much effect for the slightest adjustments? Even a change of 0.5 makes a huge difference.

I was also trying to brighten the castle a bit, in order to make it stand out more, but didn’t manage it. Will keep practising! :blush:

DSCF3855_Iri.dng.xmp (7.4 KB)

1 Like