New bugginess with selecting drop-down presets list items

Never had this issue before, but since a few weeks ago, DT4.0.1 (ARM) on my Mac M1got very buggy with selecting from dropdown lists, particular with presets. Making sure I have the latest 4.0.1.1 made no difference.

I no longer can simply move the mouse down to the drop-down list item that I want to select, and click to select and action. The mouse pointer moves down the list, but the item it is hovering over no longer ‘lights up’, and clicking on it does not action it (but does close the drop-down list).

As a workaround, I can ‘light up’ each item on the list with the up/down keyboard keys, but then hitting Enter to activate an item sometimes actions it, but often simply closes the list with no action.

It applies to Presets lists and Quick Presets, but not to Quick Styles, which works fine, and also not to opening and adjusting modules manually, which works fine. It is the presets.

It is also inconsistent. The manual workaround often doesn’t work, then suddenly it will - but this is less than 10% of the time, it is usually not working properly. Or at any given time the manual workaround might work on some modules but not others. Or, another inconsistency, I can access my crop presets right now using the Quick Presets and my keyboard workaround (doesn’t work by mouse), but can’t use the same presets via the Crop module, either by mouse or by keyboard.

This kills my workflow because I use presets a lot, and when they can’t be actioned, I haven’t memorized the preset’s settings, so can’t do the settings manually.

The problem is completely new. It might have coincided with my upgrading to MacOS 13 (Ventura) in recent weeks.

This appears to be a known issue with Ventura. I went hunting when I upgraded and ran into the same issue. See macos13: presets menu doesn't get focus for mouse actions · Issue #12727 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub.

I hadn’t yet discovered the arrow key workaround, so thanks for that!

1 Like

Oh ok, but it’s so mainline to processing photos that it reduces DT’s usability a lot.

And the workaround is quite unreliable.

Moved to the darktable category for better visibility.

you might try the development build current OSX Build - #588 by MStraeten built with a patched gtk (just a workaround, there’s no solution merged yet)
But keep in mind, there’s no way back to 4.0.1, so do a backup of your ~/.config/darktable and the xmps in your image directories first.
Current master yet doesn’t include features not also included in upcoming official 4.2 release.